Chapter 1: Teaser

K guys!!! This is the teaser chapter for my new book, The Truth About Eleven!

"MOMMY!"

The shout comes from a young boy - the Fourth Garde, to be sure - running to his exhausted mother. The boy and the mother, although family, look entirely different. The mother is average height for most women on Lorien and has a head full of thick, dark brown, curly hair that falls down to the bottom of her shoulder blades. Similar to the color of her hair, the mother bears big, round eyes that are like those of a child's; they always seem to give off a vibe of pure hope and happiness. Her skin, however, seems to express her weariness - no words needed. Usually a golden brown, her skin has a pallor appearance and, upon closer inspection, dark circles etched beneath her eyes.

The boy, finally reaching his mother, hugs her tightly - he hasn't seen her in days - and buries his face in her billowing, white dress. The boy is young - he can't be more than three years old - with slightly chubby cheeks made of baby fat that hasn't yet disappeared. He holds bright blue eyes that seem to pulse with liveliness and messy, overgrown, blond hair. The boy, strangely enough, only seems to get these traits from his father who is an exact copy of the boy, only older.

The mother tightly embraces her son with one arm while the boy's father stands behind her holding her waist. It finally occurs to the little boy, that she's carrying something - a bundle of blankets that seems to move every so often. Interested, the little boy stands on his father's foot and uses the leverage to peak into the shivering bundle. On his tippy toes, he gets a glimpse of a baby - a newborn baby, definitely a girl - waving her hands in the air, her brown eyes open taking in as much as she can. The little boy, awestruck, looks questioningly at his mother who provides nothing but a tired laugh in explanation. His father, however, is excited to explain, although only in one sentence.

"Meet your baby sister," he says, his eyes glowing with pride. When the little boy doesn't respond, his father gently takes the baby from his wife's arms. He then tells the little boy to sit down and when he does, the father lays the baby in her bundle on the little boy's lap. Grinning and satisfied, the father takes the mother's hand, squeezes it tightly, and takes her inside to the home where the little boy's grandparents impatiently stand, awaiting their arrival.

The little boy watches his parents leave and then focuses his attention on the baby - his sister, his younger sister. Although still a child, the boy knows that she will become his top priority. Any extra time will be devoted to taking care of her - nurturing her when his family was busy.

The little boy brushes his fingertips lightly against her cheek which turns her attention towards his face - or more correctly his eyes. She seems to take interest in his bright blue eyes and continuously tries to reach her tiny hand, in the form of a fist, up to them. On her third attempt, the little boy takes her tiny fist and gently pries it open. He then takes her open hand and presses her palm against his cheek. She giggles, delighted, and a small smile appears on her lips. However, the delight of touching his face soon disappears and is replaced with the curiosity of, once again, his eyes. As her hands reach up to grab the blue in his eyes, the little boy realizes something - his parents hadn't yet told him the name of the baby. Quickly jumping to conclusions, the boy assumes that the parents have already given his little sister a name, although there wasn't anything against nicknames. Thinking hard, the little boy racks his mind for nicknames - some too cute, others too fierce - until the perfect nickname finally enters his mind.

"Blue," he whispers quietly, "that's your name, Blue."

His little sister Blue giggles again when she hears the name, forcing a smile onto the boy's face. Hearing her melodic giggle, the boy feels something inside him - something powerful. Although the boy doesn't have a name for it, one thing is for sure - Blue brings out something incredible within him.

The little boy, so young and naive, thinks that life will be perfect from then on. He'd grow up to be a strong Garde, older brother, and so much more. He can feel the passion beating through his heart, and he can see the future he will behold.

Little does he know, there will be no future - at least, not one with Blue.