Chapter 3: Let's Party!

Saturday night finds me begrudgingly allowing Aria to dress me up like her own personal fashion doll. Somehow she has convinced me to go to a party. I told her I would go, but I didn't say I would stay. Already I am formulating a plan of escape. Our school is not the kind whose parties ever end well, or without police intervention...

This particular party is being held at Jose Guerra's house, which is, ironically a neutral zone for the three gangs. Still, that wasn't a comfort to me. It only meant that more of them could show up. I hear a rattling sound behind me and just in time, I look up to see my dear friend with a maniacal smile and a can of hair glitter.

"No!" I shout at her, stumbling in my attempts to get away. "No way are you putting that in my hair."

"But it will make you shine like the star you are!"

"I let you put me in this way too showy dress, with way too much make-up. I draw the line at hair glitter."

She sighs, putting the can back on her vanity. "Fine. But you still have to spray me."

"You're not getting in my car with that.It took me almost a year to get rid of it last time and it still spits some out when I turn on the heater."

"We can take mine." She puts the can in my hand. Its my turn to sigh.

"Fine. But I'm still driving. You drive like an old lady."

We pull up to Jose's two-story,middle-class house. Dozens of cars are already parked all over the street and yard. I adjust my little black dress, trying to pull it up higher on my chest. At least it isn't skin tight all the way down. The skirt flares out at the waist with the help of a fluffy tulle underskirt. The neckline dips in a graceful curve but thankfully still manages full coverage. However, it doesn't have sleeves and since Aria refused to let me wear my hoodie, (it's black! It matches!) I am stuck with a short silver crocheted thing that does nothing to help me stay warm. We walk up to the door and already I can feel the music pounding in my chest. I am about to turn around and walk right back to the car when the door opens. Guess who answered.

Mr. Perfect flashes his sweet smile, the one he uses on adults. "I didn't expect to see you here, Maggie."

"Me either." I grumble, glaring at Aria. But she's too busy drooling to notice.

"I'm going to need your keys before you enter."

"Why?" I ask, eyeing him suspiciously.

"I'm the key master. No one is driving home tonight without my okay."

"I'll leave now then. It was fun.Thanks!" I turn to go but Aria grabs the keys from my hand and tosses them into the bag he is holding.

"You haven't even stepped into the house. It doesn't count as being at the party unless you get past the front door." Aria says as she grabs my arm and drags me inside.

Aria doesn't release me until she has a drink in one hand and a boy's arm in the other. I slide off trying not to catch her attention and get pulled back in. I make it to the back door and take a deep breath as I walk out into the fresh air.

Only it isn't fresh. Hell, it's hardly air. A large group of teens stand just outside the doorway in a cloud of smoke as various cigarettes of tobacco and weed both are passed around. I cough trying to expel the foul stuff from my lungs.

One of them puts an arm around me, holding the burning weed up to my mouth. "Wanna hit?"

I turn and cough in his face.