New beginnings

Characters:
Jake
Malachi
Will
Gio
Archie
Harry
Oskar
Cameron
Jacobs Pov

"This is the last time I'll see you, Jake," Walter said, pushing an envelope into my lap. I fidgeted with the Black envelope before sliding closer to him. I'd miss him I realized. His hand slid over my shoulder in an affectionate touch only lingering for a second before he pulled away. The black sedan we were in came to a stop and Walter opened the door. Time to go.

As we stood waiting I Looked into Walter's dark shades and  I reflected on the last ten years of my existence. I'd known the man since I was fourteen and at that moment it felt symbolic of a giving away ceremony. I felt like a child bride wanting so badly to grow as a woman but not at all being ready. I was of age though and I was being given away to my team for the rest of my life as a beneficiary of the CIA. Walter had been the one who first trained me after my accident. He was strict and rigid when I needed him to be an anchor but he was also tender with me when I needed a shoulder to cry on. He was my father, the man practically raised me.

Walter had only informed me months before about my team. Teams were ranked A-D. A-Teams exclusively handled top priority and high profile international assignments with governmental disputes being most common. B-Teams handled High profile American assignments. C -Teams handled low profile international assignments such as scandals that would reflect badly on the United States. D- Teams handled low profile American assignments dealing mainly with keeping governmental secrets under wraps. I was Assigned to an A-Team, something I wanted and something I worked extremely hard for. At the academy I was always focused on doing as best as possible because I really did feel like I belonged there. I got on well with most people and was praised for my talents.

I was finally doing what I'd been trained to do and make no mistake about it I was excited to start the rest of my life but nervousness came with change and no amount of training could strip away my anxiety, bipolar disorder and depression.

I would never see this man ever again, I realized, this is it. It's not a fantasy now. "Oh for Christ's Sake, the man is perpetually late" Walter exclaimed, bringing me out of my reverie. " I appreciate everything you've done for me, even if I was a pain in the ass" I mutter in his direction. It was easier to cut ties cleanly, I knew that the CIA made sure I knew that but he'd done too much for me to consider that an option.  " You'll be fine," he says unapologetically "You'll have to be"

It's then a sleek black Ford Expedition pulls into the secret pick up stop and I know its time. The back seat door opens and a white man about 5"11 steps out. He brushes away his brown hair with his free hand as he holds a black envelope similar to mine. He holds his hand out expectedly to me and I falter a bit before handing him the envelope. Putting his envelope under his arm with another sweep at his hair, he opens my envelope and reads it. Taking a thorough look at me, he turns to Walter, and gives Walter his envelope. As Walter looks it over I start feeling a bit self conscious . All of this was for me, "Phoenix Delivered" Walter said sharply," Phoenix received," the man says to Walter and then motioned for me to follow him. "Bye, Jake, You'll be fine, " "Bye Walter " I stumble out shakily. Walter climbs back into the sedan while I'm ushered into the front passenger seat of the expensive SUV.

Not being told much about my new team, I drew references from the other various teams I learned about during training. I summarized that I'd be in a team of four with a team leader, a weapons expert, a strategist and then me, the assassin.

When I entered the vehicle, I certainly didn't expect 7 pairs of eyes on me. Stunned only momentarily, I entered and buckled up. Everyone was deadly quiet and I followed suit, after 2 minutes of intent staring at me the driver chuckled softly, " No manners on this one, " he continued, "That's fine, for now" he said. Suddenly I recognized the deep, dark sultry voice of the driver. I knew him. I'd studied him. I'd wanted to be him, Malachi Mackenzie Jordan. The Oh Shit tumbled out before I could stop the exclamation followed by instant blushing. He was infamous and brilliant...and two feet away. "Oh for fucks sake Sir, is the picture already taken? He's met his idol Can we go now?" an annoyed Irish accent said. Forgetting anyone else was there I searched through the sea of men to find a medium-sized man slouching between two others in the back row. Malachi without missing a beat turned to the Irish man and simply said, " That's 20".  I turned back and decided that minding my own business would be the best course of action. Taking another survey of the men, they were all otherwise preoccupied on their phones.