summary

bailey lovell is a young man, reeling from a breakup with his now ex-girlfriend valentine. upon their relationship ending, something in him was let lose... leading to him stalking and harassing valentine, terrorising her in unimaginable ways. during the series of atrocities committed by him in order to scare and harm valentine, a strange event happened, leaving bailey a little off – different from before. not emotionally, not mentally, but physically. this change does set off some alarms in bailey's mind... only causing him to act out in more extreme ways than ever before. this leads to him physically attacking valentine and what appears to be him killing her – only for valentine to reappear soon after. despite her physical body being fine, she was majorly traumatised by the event and cannot fully recall what happened – but she too notices the same changes in her body that bailey did.

after supposedly killing valentine, bailey decides to ease up on her and leave her alone... for the time being. he spends his new free time on social media, searching for new victims to torment and abuse. through tinder, he comes across an odd individual who draws him in greatly – ash kinoshita. the two match on tinder and the relationship seems to go fine – only ash is looking for a plug and not a partner. bailey pretends not to mind this but keeps ash in his mind daily, to the point of obsession.

meanwhile in school, ash meets fariha, an attractive young woman who appears to have similar health issues to ash. this leads to the two forming a bond, and later a romantic relationship. upon finding out about this, something in bailey snaps. he, in turn, responds the same way he did to valentine breaking up with him – he begins stalking and harassing ash, while keeping his anonymity.

the harassment from bailey leads ash to believe they are experiencing night terrors and hallucinations – hearing a voice lashing out on them. eventually, this voice introduces itself to ash, asking about themselves for the first time... leading to ash explaining their situation. the voice proceeds to give ash the option of fixing everything at a price – the price is to let the voice control ash's body for a short period of time. after some time of contemplation, ash finally agrees to this deal and blacks out for several days, only to wake up to their twin brother elliott, panicking. "something is weird," he says. "something's not right."