Haven

Deep within the forest, there is a place: a place of solace, a place of rest, a place of bonding and sisterhood.

They rode to that place. Only the two sisters knew the way, for they had built it. Weaving branches and trees, they had created it with only their surroundings and their bare hands. It was the one safe place they could go. There was no maid to rush them along, no teacher to yell at them, and no father and mother to tell them what to do.

They were alone.

They tied up their horses and entered. When they stepped through that door, they were no longer completely themselves. They entered a world of make believe. Alita and Kale did not pretend to be princesses, like most children would. That was their old selves they left at the door. Instead, they were whoever they wanted to be.

Alita was a magical sorceress with a thousand spells at her fingertips and she need only whisper a word. Kale was a Faerie Warrior, stepping silently through the leaf-covered ground of her tribe's hunting grounds. Together, they were unstoppable. No enemy of the kingdom would dare go to battle against the famous sisters.

It soon began to become dark. So their characters went to rest as they stepped through the portal to the other world. They smiled, with a twinkle of a tear in their eyes. They both knew that after this day, they would never see this magic place again, for when they returned home, they would be separated and guarded night and day. They might not even see each other again, but it was worth it. This one final memory, to hold them so close they could never be forced apart, no matter how hard fate tried. They hugged each other fiercely, then climbed onto their horses.

Never more than three feet apart and never looking back: that was how they wished to live out their lives. No one would dare go against the two sisters together, and they would always be together.