New Friends

By that afternoon, I had decorated the roof and walls around my bed with pictures and posters of various sports. I sat cross legged and smiled at my handiwork. It was then that I remembered the gift my brother had given me. I patted my pockets and realized I had hung my jacket on my desk chair. I jumped down from my bunk, landing perfectly and lightly on the ground. I then rummaged in the pockets of my jacket until I found it. I took out the blue gift and opened it rather quickly, anxious to know what it was.

Once it was opened I froze. As I looked at the picture of my brother and I with our arms over each other's shoulders right after I had won the under 13's High Jump finals three years ago. I was wearing my red singlet with the number 1 taped to it. My hair was lose from jumping and I was smiling like a complete idiot with the gold medal in my hand. Next to me, my brother was wearing an identical grin and a grey shirt with the number one on the sleeve. Even though he didn't do sports, he always supported me by wearing my number. I smiled at the memory of him dashing out and tackling me to the ground after I made the 1.5m jump.

"Hey who's that?" Blake asked, looking over my shoulder at the photo.

"This? It's me and my br- um, sister after she won her high jump tournament," I explained, silently cursing myself for almost giving myself away again.

"She's really hot," Blake stated.

I kept the blush down that was furiously fighting it's way to my cheeks.

"She has a boyfriend," I lied. Like I would have a boyfriend, seriously!

"Really? Damn that's way too bad," Blake said, sounding genuinely disappointed.

"Yeah," I replied, heading back up to my bunk and standing the photo up on the head of the bed. It was big enough to hold at least four or five photos on it, so it was pretty handy to have.

"Blake!" I heard someone laugh from the door.

I peeked out from behind the curtain and saw a blond hair, brown eyed boy standing in the door way. When Blake turned around he smiled and held his arms out.

"Hayden! It's been forever man!" he laughed as they tackled their way into a man hug.

Guys were so weird, seriously.

"I never knew you were going here!" Hayden said, stepping back.

"Yeah, got in at the last minute!" Blake laughed. "Hey, you gotta meet my room mate! He's into sports as much as you are!"

"Really?" Hayden asked and Blake nodded furiously.

"Hey Jace! Come meet my buddy from middle school!" Blake called.

I moved the curtain across and smiled down at Hayden and Blake.

"Hey, I'm Jace, how is it going?" I asked.

"Good thanks man, so what sports are you into?" Hayden asked.

I shrugged.

"All of them," I replied, causing Hayden to grin.

"Who is your favourite sportsman?"

"Too many to count," I grinned back.

"Are you any good?" he asked.

"I like to think so," I replied.

"Guess we will see when school starts?" he grinned and I grinned back.

"I guess so," I replied.

"Hey guys I gotta go, I will catch you guys at dinner yeah?" Hayden called as he headed towards the door.