His Princess II [Platonic]

With time, all things change

With time, all things change. With time you became fonder of Aslaug and she grew into her role as your step mother. With time, Ragnar's heart fell to the changes in your body. Your trim figure became one he loathed. As your curves filled out he also noticed the attention other men, no boys, put on you. With you as his only daughter, he felt the need to protect you no matter what the cause was.

"Mother tell him to stop!" You came in as she rocked Sigurd in her arms. Ever since Bjorn and Ragnar came home, it had been a nightmare for you between Jarl Borg, King Horik, and now the newfound rage of the older men of your family. Ragnar and Bjorn came in after, faces stained with dried blood. Ragnar took up a round bowl of water and brought it over his face to clean. You eventually dropped by where Siggy was helping Aslaug with the boys.

"On what account?" Aslaug chirps in an amused chuckle. You grab Ubbe and set him on your lap, winding your arms around his tiny figure. Bjorn's gentle features pulled in a bemused glimmering smile that reflected in his eyes as he wiped his blade clean of blood.

"They're brutalizing the men that are interested in me!" You exclaim while holding Ubbe tight. Ragnar scratches his chin, lifting up his face from the red tinged water.

"They come into my hall asking for the hand of my only daughter. If they can pay your dowry, they can pay the price of showing me they are worthy. It isn't like I set a bear after them." Ragnar works the red out of his beard. It's not like they had to do what he did for Lagertha's hand.

"No, you sent Bjorn Ironside after them. How is that not worse?" You suggest, flicking your hand out at your father.

"I can send your uncle instead." He responds. You snap your tongue against the roof of your mouth, snuggling up to Ubbe like a pet. As if you could find anyone when your father was prowling around seeking who else we could devour.

"At this rate I'll only be able to marry Athelstan." You bury yourself in Ubbe's blonde hair. Aslaug sets her warm hands to your shoulders, rubbing your shoulders apologetically. It's her silent way of acknowledging your pain but when she lacks words, you know she sides with the older men of your family.

"It could be arranged." Ragnar approves while stepping away from the bowl. You loved Athelstan as you loved your uncle Rollo. The thought of marrying him churned your stomach.

"Father stop!"

"It was only a suggestion." Ragnar chides softly, dropping beside you. Ubbe wiggles around to face you. You comb his soft hair away from his eyes when he speaks. Bjorn looks up from his blade when little Ubbe speaks, his eyes beaming pridefully as he raises his hand to his chest.

"You could marry me!"

You start to think being single forever is looking very damn good.