34 | The Summer Gala 0.2

TWENTY FOUR
the summer gala 0.2

- young and beautiful- lana del ray -

   b r a y d e n  

WHY THE FUCK DOES she always have to look so radiant.

My gaze had found her lithe form as soon as she had entered and damn had she taken my breath away. She looked ethereal in that trailing blue gown, the epitome of a goddess worthy of worship.

The sight had been enough to heighten the ache in my chest. And so, I was quick to look away. The moment I found out Athena had moved out, everything had stopped mattering. Everything fused into a bland mix of grey. No emotions. No colours.

Still, the moment I see her, everything changes.

That does nothing to make me forgive her though.

Because what she did left marks. Deep ugly marks.

So I drain myself of any lingering thoughts of forgiveness and put on a blank mask of boredom as I walk with Lia at my arm towards my larger than life looking friends.

Standing right behind Athena, I voice lazily "Hey guys, mind if we join in?" and I feel, more than see her body go rigid. Five pairs of eyes frantically glance from my ex girlfriend to me, putting on tentative smiles.

"Hi Brayden, Amelia." Ash is the first one to break the bordering-on-awkward silence as he nods at both of us.

Athena turns and I carefully school my expression, tugging my lips into a smirk.

Blue eyes turn to Lia and something flashes in them just for a second before they meet mine and roam my body but she's quick to avert them, while on the other hand, I can't help but keep my gaze fixated on her.

I wish she hadn't left.

But the reality is that she had. And I need to forget her.

Athena looks at something behind me, a small smile forming on her lips as she waves, poking my curiosity. I hold in the urge to turn, even when she announces "Excuse me." before walking towards whoever she saw.

A steady flow of conversation picks up soon after, I contribute every now and then but it's evident I'm distracted. My mind refuses to abandon thoughts of her.

I tilt my head towards the side, just barely, glancing back to where Athena stands and let out a breath when I see her talking to my parents.

The sheer relief makes me want to punch myself, I still have Cupid's heart-shaped bow up my ass and if I know what's good for me, I need to break its stupid spell. Fast.

a t h e n a

It felt great to catch up with Catherine and Damon, to ruffle Nick and Nate's hair as they had wrapped me in bone crushing hugs.

It didn't feel nearly as great to stand around and stare at Amelia and Brayden waltz together to delicate notes of the piano.

As if I've shouted out that thought, Brayden looks up from Amelia and for what feels like the hundredth time tonight, our eyes meet. But much like the last hundreds of times, he looks away and my heart deflates.

The fact that Bryden looks sinfully dashing in his double-breasted suit doesn't help matters, he screams luxury with the black button down underneath left unbuttoned at the collar and hair styled to perfection.

Trial & Errorजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें