Part Two: The Middle

One day, when the love struck couple had both reached the age of twenty-one, Leon became betrothed. Her name was Amber. She had cascading auburn hair and fair skin that looked as if it had never seen the sun. She was a shapely woman of wide hips and a modest sized bust. Haunting blue eyes to set it off.

The marriage was arranged by the families of Leon and Amber and was to take place within a fortnight (2 weeks). Willow eventually heard of this. When she went to Leon about it, he looked at her...differently.

His lip turned up on one side. His eyes narrowed and his eyebrows creased his forehead in anger. It was disgust in his eyes. Disdain accompanied it.

He cursed at her. He screamed at her. He threw stones at her when she tried to approach him again. He even went as far as to strike her across the face.

Some part of Willow kept saying that he was only putting on an act to fool the town's folk. But she was wrong. A fortnight had came and passed. Leon had married Amber and Willow was alone once more.

Heartbroken, Willow wandered the streets of the village. Her eyes became hollow and devoid of all life. Her hair became tangled and knotted for she no longer combed it. What was the point? She had no one to look good for any more.

She barely ate and she didn't sleep anymore. One day, she wandered outside the village. She hadn't realized she had made her way to the field until she looked up.

Immediately she began to cry. She and Leon had shared so many things. First kisses. Warm hugs. Secrets. Eveything. She had given herself over to him and in the end he was just like everyone else. Vain and self-centered.

She collapsed in a heap onto the ground. She stayed there like that for days. All she did was cry. For weeks and weeks on end.

Spring ended. Summer began. Summer ended and gave way to Fall and Winter. She remained unmoved. The flowers and roots grew around her. She watered them with her tears and allowed the to grow stronger and taller than the rest.

Her skin darkened and hardened as the years went on. She became part of the medow and the meadow embraced her. Birds made nests in her hair and insects made homes in the creases of her legs.