Chapter 24 ~ Blood for Blood

Chapter 24: Blood for Blood
~

My boots made a gruesome squelching noise with every step through the halls of the battlefield. Body parts lay limp next to blood splattered walls and I had to avoid more than one vampire bumping into me during a fight. I wanted to stop and help but I had my mission, a life to save.

My ears strained to hear the voice of Atanas or Padraig and I was determined to go room to room. No matter what came for me.

Jumping over a grizzly pair of wrestling vampires, I was stopped short by a sight that had relief breathing through me.

The red headed warrior fought with a giant, bloody claymore, her pale skin covered in blue swirls. When her fierce blue eyes landed on me she grinned, swinging the sword around to strike down the vampire in her way. Elaine seemed completely in her element, a Celtic warrior queen with barely a scratch on her.

"Shylah! I knew you'd get yourself and Anna out," she shouted, barrelling towards me with a wicked smile.

I felt small next to her. While she was most definitely feminine, she was muscled and...scary. My small sword felt pitiful next to her Scottish blade. She would hate me when she found out I'd let harm come to Anna and her wrath was something that terrified me.

"I need to find Atanas or Padraig, now. Anna isn't going to be breathing much longer unless we get her help," I said quickly, my eyes raking across the hall, awaiting her rage.

Elaine had cleared this entire floor by the looks of it, which only added to my fear of her. Instead of turning her skill with the blade my way, she nodded, grabbing my arm and started dragging me towards another set of stairs. There was a look of sympathy in her eyes, but no hatred.

"It isn't your fault, Shylah. Anna will be okay, we'll make sure of it. Padraig and Atanas are both in the thick of it upstairs, stay close to me," she ordered, barely glancing down at the body parts she jumped over, "The battle is nearly won, but that means our enemy will be desperate. They won't fight fair."

My stomach rolled but I forced my eyes up too, ignoring the stench of death. I should have been relieved that she was sure the fight was ours but I didn't care. I didn't care that Atanas would soon take his power back, that we would make sure all was put right. All I could see in my minds eye was the pale face of my friend who could be dead already.

Elaine forced me on, her grip tightening on my hand when she felt me falter. Her gaze turned to me and I nodded at the silent question she asked. I was alright.

Briefly, I lost my grip as we were met with two vampires trying to escape.

"Not on my watch," Elaine muttered, shoving one away from the window he attempted to crawl out of.

The one I was faced with was weak and injured and stood no chance against me but still his eyes were filled with hatred. When he fell to his knees to await his fate, a flash of memory from my time in the dungeons surfaced. Raising my blade, I wasted no time and thrust it through his heart. I had to close my eyes. Each kill seemed to chip away at the last pure bits of my soul.

I swayed on my feet as my stomach threatened to squeeze. Blue eyes in my vision weren't the eyes of the person I wanted to hold me right now. Strong hands gripped my shoulders.

"Not yet, Shylah. Keep going for a little longer," she urged, her fingers twining with mine once more.

Pulling on the last of my strength, I began to run once more with her. Just a little longer.

A growl from my left and I was yanked from Elaine's grip, falling on my side and knocking over the vampire that grabbed me. Elaine hissed, long fangs dropping to add to the fierceness of her being. I bucked, freeing myself from the weight of the male vampire only for him to redouble his efforts.