Chapter 6

Reinhart sat speechless, his eyes moving from Eron to the boy's mother and back again. The last thing he desired was to overstep his bounds and offer to train the boy. It was something he didn't want or believe should happen. He knew others that made their living from the sword would happily train a child, even a Halfling, for a handful of silver or gold. He didn't want to bring anyone else into his world. As a ranger, he lost everything but what he could carry inside of him. Studying the natural world around him, animal behavior, medicinal herbs, as well as what makes things grow, gave him a purpose besides existing. That much he could offer.

Having made up his mind, he sat back and waited for the drama to unfold before him. He hated that such a thing was caused by his presence, but what could he do? Kids had a knack for getting into trouble.

"Mom, I'm not joking, and I don't feel ill. I want to be a warrior like Reinhart." Eron's tone turned to pleading as he tried to convince his mother he wasn't having a bout of dementia.

Milda reacted as a mother was expected to. She began chastising her son for having his head in the clouds and not on good, solid ground. While doing so, she also rose to her feet and began feeling Eron's head for a temperature.

"You say that now, but what if you get hurt? What about then? Why don't you do something safe, like being a thief or staying here?" Milda knew no Halfling would want to remain at home past their thirteenth birthday. She considered it a miracle both Eron and Surie hadn't pushed harder to leave before then.

As a rule, Halflings stayed with their families until they were full grown at the age of twelve. It was around that age a majority of Halflings felt their blood begin to burn with the desire to travel. Some families, like Milda's, remained together later as the maturity process was different with each individual. Milda knew the way of things, but that didn't mean she had to accept it with open arms. They were her third group of children she was preparing to send into the world. What mother ever deserved more sympathy?

Eron's gaze lowered to the ground in thought. It was true, he hadn't thought about getting hurt before his mother pointed it out, but there was inherent danger in everything one decided to do with their life. He didn't want to be a thief like his father, Surie, or thousands of his fellow Halflings. That life was more dangerous, in his mind, than being a warrior and far less exciting. Any of them could be captured or killed on sight if they tried to steal from the wrong person. In his mind, he would at least have some protection in the ways of armor and a weapon. It sounded like a sound argument, but he knew better than to use it and anger his mother. She never allowed him to talk about battles or knights and their honor for as long as he could remember. At least Surie remained quiet through the ordeal.

"What do you think? Hmm? Would a warrior's life suit him?" Milda's question was directed towards Reinhart. Her asking anyone surprised her children and their eyes turned to their guest.

Not what I was hoping for. Reinhart saw the attention shift to him and with grim determination, he took a deep breath before beginning. "I'd say no," Milda's face beamed with a smile and Eron's drooped before Reinhart was able to say another word. When he continued, their expressions switched. "But I'd endorse it if he learns the ways of nature and becomes a ranger." He turned his gaze from Milda to Eron's smiling and confused face. "The life of a warrior is hard, but a ranger's is solitary. I won't teach anyone to kill, but I will teach you how to live."

For the life of him, Eron didn't understand what Reinhart meant but he couldn't stop smiling. Even when he turned to his mother and saw her heartbreak he couldn't contain himself. "Mom, please?" It came out as a request without the usual pleading tone he'd used on her every day of his life when he wanted something.