The Darkness Inside

Alternative title: Batman Never Said I Couldn't Raise the Dead

[Edited July 24, 2022]

Nico woke up the next morning to the sound of his door opening. This was unusual because everyone at the manor was big on privacy. You simply didn't go into someone's room without knocking unless you had a very good reason. There shouldn't have been anyone in his bedroom this early.

 [to recap]

Unlike the other boys, he didn't attend school or work out in the mornings. It was nice to be learning at his own pace. The only things with due dates were the projects and the tests. Everything else could be done at his own pace. We would take tests at the end of each 'unit' to prove that he was actually learning the material. He didn't really study, instead, he would listen to a CD of the lessons while he cleaned his room or practiced on the training platform in the Batcave. He hadn't failed a test yet and he was finding that he could remember more of his lessons if he was doing something else while they were going.

This style of learning was a great way to keep him out of a situation where he would be vulnerable to monster attacks. Once he explained why Percy had been kicked out of pretty much every school he attended, Bruce was willing to keep him home to prevent the bad press and a potential lawsuit. It wasn't ideal and Bruce had caught some flack from the media, but they all agreed that it was worth it. Nico also liked that he wouldn't have to worry about being ostracized by his peers because of his sheer inability to fit in. He'd be lost the first time they asked him to use a calculator.

Then there was the fact that he'd need accommodations. Bruce had assured him that it wasn't a big deal, but he couldn't help but feel like it was. When he had been growing up, people with 'learning disabilities' (even this was a strange term to him) were just considered lazy and were considered dumb. It wasn't something that you wanted people to know. Even though conditions like ADHD and Dyslexia were becoming more accepted, Nico couldn't quite get comfortable with the diagnosis.

Because he didn't need to get up early to go to school, he was usually allowed to sleep in and go about his mornings in a leisurely fashion. Nico sat up and rubbed the sleep out of his eyes. When he looked over, Bruce was a few steps into the room and was dressed for work. He seemed uncomfortable, though Nico couldn't tell if that was because he'd been caught or because he didn't have good news.

"What are you doing?" The son of Hades asked in confusion.

"We need to talk and I didn't think that this should wait until tonight," Bruce replied as he shut the door behind him. Nico's heart sank, but he tried to keep his expression passive and his voice steady.

"Ok, talk about what?" What could possibly be so important that it couldn't wait until after Bruce got off of work? Was he in trouble? The older man came further into the room and rested his hands on the back of Nico's couch.

"You said that we don't take you seriously," Bruce started, "I wanted to make sure that you knew that I am not trying to make you feel that way. I have no idea what things you have been through with all of that demigod stuff. However, I do know that it is my job to keep you safe." Nico's eyes narrowed. He could sense that this conversation wasn't going down a path that he would like.

"But...?" He prompted.

"I know you think that you can handle yourself, and I am inclined to believe you, but I can't just take it on faith. I have to really know what you are capable of and what control you have over your powers and yourself before I will feel comfortable with you becoming even more independent. Call it vigilante paranoia. Does that make sense?" Bruce asked. Nico considered this for a moment. Unfortunately, it did make sense and it made him feel like a little kid because of how he had been acting the night before.