THE FÜHRER'S DAUGHTER (Episode 2 ) - Chapters 3, 4, 5

CHAPTER THREE

AN ARMED MAN LEPT out of the car and rushed through the rain toward Grace and Miles. He looked a bit older than Friedrich, but not much. There was a rougher look about him, and—Wait!

He wasn’t fitted in the crisp black uniform with the runic  symbol on his collar. Nor did his arm bear the golden eagle of the Schutzstaffel. No, he wore a brown leather jacket, a black shirt, and blue denim pants—the attire of an unfamiliar class.

Grace wanted to run, but couldn’t find the strength.

To her dismay, Miles didn’t even put up a fight. He willingly lumbered toward the vehicle. The gunman pointed his weapon up to the sky, planted himself behind her.

“Miles!” Grace said. “What are you doing?”

The frigid rain blurred her vision, but she could see that he was stepping inside.

“It’s all right.” He waved her over.

Confused as she was frightened, she got inside. Before she could shut the door to the backseat, the leather clad gunman got back inside the car, slammed his door shut, and sped down a side street.

A hard left turn sent Grace sliding into Miles.

“You might want to buckle up, Miss Grace,” he said, gripping the strap above the window to steady himself.

The car jerked right.

Grace slammed into the side of the door.

She snarled in frustration.

“I’d do it quickly if I were you,” Miles said.

She pulled her backpack off and latched the buckle.

When the car rounded the next corner, she held firm.

“What’s going on?” she said.

“It’s okay.” He strained as he leaned forward and patted the driver on the shoulder. “Jack here ain’t with the SS. He’s a friend.”

The young man turned around and smiled through his whiskery mug. “Pleasure to meet you, Princess.”

She glared at him, then turned to Miles. “What do you mean, a friend?”

“We wouldn’t be long for this world if we were looking down the business end of an SS sniper rifle—‘specially if you brought those things from the archives.”

She patted her backpack now positioned between them. “All here.”

“I knew you were just as smart as you are pretty.”

“Well, if it was worth killing me for, then I need to know what it is.” She stared out the window. The car sped so fast that the overhead streetlights appeared to strobe. For several minutes she said nothing.