UNINVITED Part 2

I knew Roger Price had died inside the room. "Ladies, this is a problem for the police. When the phones come back on..."

Miss Larson interrupted me. "We can't wait that long! I know something has happened to Roger! I just know it!"

"Miss Merritt, can you open the door for me to check on Mister Price?" I asked the landlord, realizing showing the excited woman Roger had passed might be the best course of action.

"No." Miss Merritt replied.

Are you serious?

"I'm sorry, ma'am?"

A bolt of lightning and subsequent thunder startled the three of us before Miss Merritt explained herself. "Mister Price is a tenant. A paying customer. Being a strange man or not, no one can go in his room unless he invites them in."

"He might be hurt inside!" Miss Larson exclaimed.

"No one goes inside his room unless he invites us in, Miss Larson. You know the rules!"

"Ladies." I attempted to calm the two women. "I think Miss Larson might be right. Your tenant might be in trouble. Please open the door so I can check."

"I will not."

"Then please get the police."

"I will when the storm stops." The landlord agreed.

"Nash, can you help me?" Miss Larson pleaded with me, surprising me by touching my arm and by knowing my name without me telling her. "Please do something."

Without waiting, I went down to my room and returned a moment later with my lock pick set. "If you're not going to open the door." I explained to the landlady. "Then I'm going to pick the lock."

"Sir! If you touch that door, I'll get the police!" Miss Merritt threatened me.

Kneeling, I began to pick the lock. "Yes, ma'am. Good. Go get the police, Miss Merritt. Please go get them. But I'm going to check on your tenant while you do."

After a few minutes of silence, I successfully unlocked the door. Placing the lock picks back in their black bag, I stood and slowly pushed the door open. Behind me, Miss Merritt and Miss Larson waited patiently.

Or so I thought.

Brushing passed me, unable to wait a second longer, Miss Larson pushed the door all the way open and entered the room.

Observing the macabre scene before us, Miss Larson immediately regretted her decision and screamed.