PART TEN: THE JACK OF ALL TRADES

The trial started.

"Are you ready?" Newt asked me and I smiled.

"I always am."

The trial started with opening remarks.

"Is the defense ready for the trial?" the court clerk asked.

"The defense is ready to prove its case," Newt said.

The trial was trial by jury, not a bench trial. The bench trial is the usual trial wherein the judge makes the decision while trial by jury is the case wherein a set of selected people will make the court decision based on facts that both parties have presented while the judge will facilitate the case.

"The court will now pick the juries."

In no time, juries have been picked but it was suspicious. Literally the whole juries were allies of the government officials who wanted to give Traise the death penalty before.

I sighed.

Umpisa palang, minamanipula na nila.

The trial finally started.

"The defense will now prove its case, Your Honor," I said and I looked at the crowd.

They were all looking at me, eyes all fixed at me.

This is it. I've waited for it for 8 straight years.

"Eight years ago," I introduced. "The accused had been charged with a murder case, saying the accused killed his father. During the entire trial, the prosecution focused on prosecuting the accused without even looking at the possibility of his innocence. With the new evidence we gathered, and evidence we labeled as false evidence, and witnesses testifying with misleading testimonies, we filed a motion for new trial which apparently got approved."

I faced everyone.

"Today, at this trial, as commanded by Your Honor and the law, we will present and prove the urgency for this case to be considered."

There was complete silence and everyone was just looking at me.

"I, therefore, summon to the witness stand, the former prosecutor of the case."

I looked at Traise who was sitting beside Newt and I gave him a small smile, remembering the things we talked about that night.

"First tactic," Traise said, looking determined as we looked at him seriously. "You, Tyler as the prosecutor, won't be in the defense counsel for the first trial."

"WHAT?!" the three of us exclaimed.

"Why?" Tyler asked.

"Since first trial ito at kailangan natin makumbinsi ang juries na kinakailangan nga ng new trial, kailangan mapatunayan ng defense na maraming pagkakamali sa naunang trial eight years ago."

"That's the idea," Newt said. "Kailangan natin s'ya para maging miyembro ng defense para magmukhang marami talagang pagkakamali kaya sumali s'ya sa atin just to fix that. So why take him out of the defense sa first day wherein it's one of the important trials?"

"I agree," I said. "We need him there."

"No," Traise said. "You misunderstood me. What I mean is he won't sit as a defense first, but as a witness."

We all looked at him, confused.

"Look," he said, convincing us. "Kung magiging miyembro na agad s'ya ng defense sa unang trial, we can no longer use him as a witness kasi nga miyembro na s'ya ng defense, 'di ba? I-re-revoke lang ang credibility n'ya. Pero kung gagamitin natin s'ya as a witness first then join the counsel after, the prosecution can't revoke him, even if they try to."