Chapter 23, Part 2: Penny's POV

"You guys are being completely unreasonable!" I snapped the second Zach walked out the door. "He really was just helping me with my homework!"

"Oh really—" Dana grabbed my Spanish packet off of my bed, nearly crumpling it up in the process. He then shoved the still-blank first page in my face. "It doesn't look like he was very helpful."

"That's because you barged in right when he was gonna help me!" I said, snatching the packet out of his hands.

"Hey!" barked a lunging Dana, clearly pissed off with how I was acting. But I didn't care—the feeling was mutual.

"Enough!" Ben said, putting a hand on Dana's chest to keep him from getting any closer to me. "I'm done with your being disrespectful, Penelope!"

"How can you call me being up in my room doing my homework, 'disrespectful?'" I asked, appalled.

"The way you've been talking to us ever since we got home is disrespectful!" Ben said.

"That's because the way Dana came in here and attacked Zach is disrespectful!" I said.

"Lower your voice!" Dana barked at me.

"Zachery shouldn't have been in here!" Ben said.

"Why not? It's not like we were alone—Owen's home."

"Penelope, don't get smart with us!" Dana warned.

"I'm not being smart! Owen was right next door the whole time!"

Dana pushed passed Ben so that he was now towering over me. "Don't you dare raise your voice at me, Penelope Grace," he said in a threatening tone, shoving a finger in my face. "That's your last warning."

"Ugh—you guys drive me crazy," I said, lowering my voice a little bit as I took a step back. "You guys said that you wanted me to come home today, so here I am. I've done exactly what you wanted, but as usual it's not good enough."

"Locking yourself in your bedroom, with a boy, when we're not home is not what we wanted you to do," Ben said. "It's not something we EVER want you to do—you know that!"

"I didn't lock myself in my bedroom. If I had, maybe Dana would have knocked first," I said.

"Let's get one thing straight." Dana took a step towards me and put his finger right back into my face. I was getting really annoyed that he thought he could just pop my personal bubble whenever he felt like it. "This is our house, Penelope! You don't control what goes on here, we do! So if I want to come into your room without knocking, I can!"

I pushed Dana's finger out of my face and looked straight into those horrifyingly dark black pits for eyes that he had. "This is not your house. It's Mom and Dads'."

From past experience, I knew that the mention of the M-word and the D-word would probably do either one of two things: break my brother's heart bad enough to where he wouldn't be able to look at me for days, or make him so mad that he'd want to rip my head off with his teeth. Unfortunately for me, it seemed that the latter had taken place with Dana, which wasn't all that surprising since I'd definitely said worse insults involving my parents. My personal favorite was when I told Cooper a couple years ago that he wasn't my father and he never would be ... sure, I got in HUGE trouble for it (with Ben), and Cooper didn't talk to me for almost a week, but it felt good in the moment—that was probably the first argument that I actually felt like I'd won against one of my brothers!

"That's it!" Dana said as he grabbed me in the same iron grip he'd had on me before. "I've had it!" He then turned me around and delivered five really hard smacks to my butt.

"Ow!" I said as I tried to block the last spank to no avail. "Stop it!"

"Dana don't," Ben said as he grabbed Dana's wrist before he could deliver a sixth. "Not when you're this angry."

Dana took a deep breath. "You're right," he nodded as Ben let go of his wrist. He then forced me facedown onto my bed, keeping a tight grip on my left arm while holding down the small of my back with his other hand. "You do it."

"Let me up!" I demanded as I unsuccessfully struggled to get free.

"Hush," Dana said.

"But this isn't fair!" I whined as Ben went into my desk and took out the wooden ruler I typically used for homework (and I'd been meaning to hide for this exact reason). "I didn't do anything wrong!" My butt was already throbbing just from Dana's hand!

"I said hush!" Dana growled.

"Just hold still, Penny," Ben said as he raised the ruler into the air. "You know you've earned this."

"No I didn't—OW!" The first connection between the ruler and my ass hurt A LOT more than I'd been anticipating!

As Ben continued to rain down the painful smacks, I bit my lip to keep from cussing my brothers out into oblivion. This fucking hurt—I knew it, Ben knew it, Dana knew it, my ass knew it—and there was no way around it. I quickly lost count of what number Ben was on, but each new burning sensation the thin piece of wood brought to my butt hurt more than the last. It wasn't long before tears were flowing out of my eyes like a waterfall, which sucked because there wasn't really anything I could do about it other than try to wipe them away on my comforter.

It was times like these that made me angry and really hate my brothers. I guess that wasn't all that surprising since a spanking didn't typically make someone happy and feel good about his or herself ... but I didn't think I was supposed to flat out despise my brothers for giving me one. I never really forgave them after a spanking, and if I did I would forgive but never really forget. I would move on because I would have to move on, not because I wanted to. As much as I resented my parents for essentially choosing drugs over their children, I don't remember a time when after they'd disciplined me I would have hatred towards them. I thought discipline was supposed to teach me something important, something that I could use later on in life when my brothers weren't around all the time—after all, they wouldn't spank Owen and I if they didn't care us, or so they say.

But all this spanking had taught me was that I couldn't really be honest with them when it came to boys. If they wanted to find out about any boys I was interested in, or even dating, then they'd have to wait and find out like the rest of the school: through rumors (whether they be true or false).

~*~

By the time Ben had decided I'd had enough, I was sobbing. Not crying, sobbing. Once Dana let go of me, the only movement I made was to bury my head into my arms. It hurt—both my butt and my pride—to move anything else.

"If I ever catch Zachery Oliver stepping foot in this house again, I will personally make sure that he gets expelled from Willow Academy and I will personally make sure that you don't sit for weeks," I heard Dana say in his menacingly harsh, low voice. I could picture him standing over me, wagging a finger in my direction as he made this threat, but I didn't bother actually look at him. "Do you understand me?"

"Y-yes," I answered softly after I sniffled.

I then felt a hand be placed onto the small of the back. This time the hand felt warmer, gentler, more forgiving ... I could tell it was Bens'.

"Penny—" my oldest brother tried. But I was having none of it.

"Just leave me alone," I said as I tried to wriggle his hand off of me. "Please."

I only looked up once I heard the sound of my bedroom door slam shut. I was alone, in pain, and I felt empty inside—as blank as my still incomplete Spanish homework packet.

This sucked.