Chapter One

A loud scream filled the night air, the sound of steady paw steps echoed throughout the camp. Dark silhouettes shot from one den to another as the camp quietly awaited in their nests.

Flamewhisker gently pressed atop BrightMasks abdomen, his paws moving along the kitting queen as he tried to feel the kits. "HalfPaw, run back and get some borage leaves, burnet, and horsetail" the frantic medicine cat quickly commanded. Rushing away HalfPaw skipped past HollowFrost, his black figure slipping into the nursery.

"How is she?" The tom asked, his voice laced with worry as he curled himself up beside his mate. Softly licking her ear he tried to sooth her, his words bringing some comfort as another wave of contractions hit BrightMask. "She is well, strong but bleeding too much" FlameWhisker lowered his voice as he began to once more push atop the queen.

"One more kit now, you're so close" FlameWhisker gave a tired smile as he encouraged the fighting queen. Suddenly HalfPaw burst back into the den, his jaws firmly grasped onto a mixture of herbs. "I got what you asked FlameWhisker" the apprentice said, dropping the bundle as she drew closer to BrightMask.

HollowFrost snatched the herbs away, gingerly inspecting them he settling his head down beside BrightMasks as her breathing became more labored. "Now, I need one more big push" The Orange and white Tom said, his head dipping down to lick BirghtMasks as HalfPaw stepped back.

Another loud scream pierced the night sky, as a smaller mewl echoed out after it as a white and grey kit slipped from BrightMask. Quickly Flamewhisker grasped the kit, moving her to HollowFrost "lick" he ordered. The proud Tom quickly obeyed, his tongue rasping over the small motionless kit as. Soon enough the small bundle began to move, their unopened eyes raising up every so slightly as BrightMask gave a weak purr. "Bring them here" she said to her mate, HollowFrost tucking the kit into BrightMask stomach where two others already slept.

Squirming the kit hungrily attached to a nipple, her paws moving as she pushed herself forward into the warmth of her mother's fur. "What will you name them?" HalfPaw finally spoke up, eager to know the names of the clans new kits. Happily BrightMask raised her head, the quee a tail flicking out to touch her mates. "This little black one is BlackKit, this little tabby is AlderKit...and this little white one is MossKit" she announced, her eyes drooling as she spoke.

"Beautiful names" FlameWhisker commented as he pushed the herd bundle closer to the queen. "Now eat these and rest" the medicine cat smiled, his own body feeling heavy with exhaustion as he back out from the den, HalfPaw cheerfully bouncing behind him. "Sleep my mate" HollowFrost purres, his black pelt wrapping around BrightMask as she slowly chewed the herbs, swallowing with a bitter taste in her mouth. "Wake me when AshStar comes" she briefly mumbled as darkness enveloped the queen.

***********************************

Hope you all enjoyed the first chapter. Let me know if you see any errors as I'm not the best with grammar and spelling. Sorry it's a bit short, more like a prologue then a full chapter. Enjoy