The King Returns (Part II) - Ubbe Ragnarsson

A dry laugh left your lips and you took a deep breath

— All he knows is that you are his king and a few tales about your skills on battle and your father and it will keep like that.

— So are you going to let him grow without a father?

You looked around making sure that Raoul was nowhere near to hear this, stepping closer to Ubbe.

— What you wanted me to say, huh? Your father is the king who abandoned both of us to our own shame, but your mother is the only to blame to believe that such a barbarian would have some decenc..

— Y/N – he started with eyes full of realization, stepping closer as his hand reached to touch your shoulder, only to met the air. — I'm sorry. I- I...

Ubbe wanted to tell how sorry he was and why he couldn't have come back to you, but he knew that nothing could justify him marrying Torvi. Why he haven't waited to come back to you and make your his queen. The lack of explication become really frequent in his life in the last years.

— Go back to your wife and family, Ubbe. – you lifted your head, holding back the tears that threaten to fall at any moment now – you wouldn't give him the pleasure to see you broken, so vulnerable because of him, not anymore. — We don't need you.

— He is my son too.

— Raoul is mine! I gave birth to him, provide to him. I am the one who taught everything he knows. Not you!

— I didn't know! Please.

— It doesn't matter now.

The sun had already settled when everybody gathered around the bonfire in the square, the thralls serving soup and mead while most of the people chattered and danced, but not you

The sun had already settled when everybody gathered around the bonfire in the square, the thralls serving soup and mead while most of the people chattered and danced, but not you. Your mind was too busy being trapped in a million of thoughts about what you should do next.