Chapter 28 - Two Lines

Lily Dornan

I woke up to the annoying sound of my alarm. I searched for the phone on the nightstand without opening my eyes. I clicked the power button and the alarm went off.

I rubbed my eyes to brush off the left sleep and got off the bed. I sleepy walked to the bathroom. I brushed my teeth and had a quick shower.

I have to visit the doctor today. Since last 4 days I'm continuously feeling nauseous. I can't eat anything nor can I stand the smell of food. If it wasn't for Jessica's continuous nagging I would've starved myself for these days.

I changed into my casual clothing

I changed into my casual clothing. I wore a semi-flowy black one piece with a somewhat deep neckline. I wore small heels and let my air down. I took my purse and kept some cash and phone in it. The dress helped covering my slightly swollen belly. I do admit I have gained some weight. Jessica was the one to point that out.

I didn't even realise when I started depending on her so much. Sometimes I feel what will I do if it wasn't for her help when I shifted here. She truly has been a blessing in disguise.

I wore my watch, sprayed some cologne and took my handbag from my the table. I wore my heels and make my way outside the room. Today I didn't bother to wear any makeup because A) it's too hot outside and the last thing I want is a face full of makeup in such a weather and B) I'm visiting a doctor. I don't think I need makeup there.

I went downstairs to realise Jessica's isn't up yet.

I walked into her room. I lightly knocked her door but didn't hear anything. I knocked a little hard this time and the door opened a little. I walked inside to see Jessica sleeping in her undergarments on her bed.

She was sleeping carelessly on her stomach. The duvets were up to her waist and her upper body was almost naked.

Her room was a mess. Her clothes were piled on the couch and makeup table was messed.

"Jess, we need to go to the doctor's." I said shaking her attempting to wake her up. She groaned and covered her face with the duvet.

"Get up Bitch." I said and shacked her vigorously.

"Well, Good morning to you too." She said.

Who gives Sass so early in the morning?

She lazily got out of the bed and made her way towards the bathroom.

While she was gone, I made her bed and lay out her clothes. I folded the unused clothes and kept them in the cupboard and threw the used ones in the laundry bin. I capped her bottles of perfumes and deos which were earlier laying around the makeup table.

She shortly came out in a fresh pair of undergarments and dressed herself in the blue jeans and a floral top. She wore her heels and I exited her room.

I pulled out the waffle maker and made the batter ready in a bowl. I made fresh waffles for both her and me. I was still feeling weird after smelling the food but anyhoo served them in our plates. I poured myself a glass of milk and made coffee for Jessica.

She walked in and we both sat down to have our breakfast.

"Lil, what if you are really pregnant? Cause you have gained some weight, have morning sickness and also you have weird cravings." Jess said taking a bite of her waffle.

"What 'weird cravings'?" I said making quotes with my fingers.

"I saw you having those cucumbers dipped in peanut butter the other night and don't you dare say otherwise."

"Well, they were tasty and I loved them. What's so weird about them?" I said scrunching my eyebrows.

"You don't even eat peanut butter." I gave her a cheeky smile on that.

.

.

.

.

"Lily Dornan," the nurse asked coming out of the doctor's cabin.

"That's me." I said standing up from my seat.

"Dr. Forbes is waiting for you." She said and pointed towards the door she just walked out from.

I and Jessica made our way to the cabin.

The cabin was quite spacious and it smelled cleaned. I mean it didn't have those typical hospital smell.

"Hello Ms. Dornan, I'm your doctor, Alexandra Forbes." She said extending her right hand. I shook her hand and gave her a smile.

"Please have a seat." I and Jessica took our seats across her.

"You must be..." She asked looking at Jessica.

"I'm Jessica Collins, her friend." Jessica introduced herself.

"I've heard about your case and I guess maybe you are pregnant but I want to confirm it with some test. Before that, when was the last time you were in a sexual relationship?" She asked and took out a paper form the file.

"I haven't did it since I divorced my husband which was a month ago." It was awkward to be honest but she's my doctor and I need to tell her everything she asks.

"Okay and when was your period date supposed?"

"It was around 6 days ago."

"Well, do you want me to check you directly or do you prefer a pregnancy test before that?" She asked.

"I'll have the pregnancy test first, if you don't mind."

"No problem dear." She took out a pregnancy test kit from a nearby cabinet.

"Well, you know the drill, moreover the instructions are on the box." She showed me the way to the bathroom and I went inside. I did my job and bought the test outside with me. I handed it over to the doctor.

I have to wait for 2 mins. Two pink lines means I'm pregnant and one line means I'm not.

"What do you want the test to be?" Jessica asked keeping a hand on mine.

"I honestly don't know. If I'm pregnant, I'm going to do my best to provide the baby with a good future. If I'm not then nothing."

After 2 minutes I asked the doctor, : "What does the test show?"

"Two lines." She said and I closed my eyes tightly letting the reality sink in.