Chapter 8

While the debacle of the Opera House was indeed settled, that was not to be said of the lady's minds in the harem. They became nervous and jittery, worried that they would be attacked next like Lady Ye in their sleep or when they were alone. It was bold of Wen Ruyan to visit her sister in Ponder Residence. Beilami saw her sister and went up to her, joyful for the visit. "Sister! What brings you here?"

"I came to see how you fared. The poison in the Opera House was by no means a coincidence. Someone was trying to frame you specifically."

"That much was obvious," the joy fell away at the reminder of her almost incarceration. "Luckily, the Imperial Physician is a wise man."

"There is something else that troubles me, I must confess. The same day I saw Consort Peace drink the almond tea and she was perfectly fine. How could this be so if she were pregnant? Then she told His Majesty that she did not drink the tea."

Beilami gasped. "Really? But perhaps she only drank a small amount..."

"It does not make sense! Why would she lie to His Majesty and refused to be checked by the Imperial Physician?"

"Sister Wen," Beilami said slowly, "What if...she's not pregnant?"

"Not pregnant?  How can this be possible?"
"Shhh! Sister, we must tread carefully from now on. If Consort Peace thinks we suspect her, she will make our lives a living hell. We must be very careful." 

Five months later, Consort Peace herself made an appearance at the Ponder Residence with her maid. Beilami went forward to bow. "Your Grace, how wonderful to see you! Please, would you like me to make you some tea?"
"That would be lovely, I do tire with the pregnancy."

Beilami prepared the tea, aware of the Noble Consort's eyes on her as she worked. Did she know that Beilami had her figured out? Beilami set the tea cups down and seated herself. "I heard that Noble Lady Ye was giving birth today. Should you not be visiting her?"

"I was, but the Empress said that it would stress me and the baby, and that I should rest. I was thinking of you and came to visit. Did I interrupt any plans you had?"

"Of course not, Consort Peace, you know I am always happy  to see you." The lie burned like acid on her tongue, but it was necessary. She could not let on just how much she despised the Noble Consort.

"Ah!" Consort Peace clutched her stomach suddenly. Her maid rushed over and checked on her master.

"Your Grace, what is the matter?" 

"My stomach... it hurts so much!"

The maid turned to Beilami and accusingly said, "You! You poisoned the tea! You wanted My Lady to have a miscarriage!"

"A miscarriage? Wait a minute... Noble Lady Ye is about to give birth to her baby. The timing..."

"I cannot believe this!" Beilami stood up. "How dare you? You are going to steal Lady Ye's baby!" 

The act was immediately dropped. "Ah, so you figured me out. You are quite smart to have done so. However, the question remains... will you tell His Majesty? It might not be in your best interest... or Xu Rongyuan's. I know that I may be caught, and I cannot escape punishment, but if you dare breathe another word to another soul, I will make sure that your precious Rongyuan suffers!"

That afternoon, there came news that Noble Lady Ye had given birth to a princess that later died. That same day, Consort Peace gave birth to a healthy little boy. His name was Beiyu. All of this Beilami was told from Daughter. She sighed in deep sadness. She longed to tell His Majesty what she knew, but Rongyuan was right. Would the Emperor even believe her? And what evidence did she have? Beilami would look like a jealous woman and Consort Peace walked free. What was she to do?