Ch. 30: Time

As soon as we arrived at Sir Arthur's estate, it was lively and full of people. Eira sighed for a moment before we exited out of the carriage and fixed her dress a bit.

"Do you really not like social gatherings?" as I looked at her.

"With the amount of social gatherings I have with humans during my entire reign of my household, they are always the same. Political power, blackmail, and manipulation. Due to their short lifespan, rulers change. Only reason I like being a pureblood. We don't die off but when it is time, we are put to sleep to let the next generation take over. Only awoken out of necessity," as she answered me.

"Wow, so you don't die?" as I looked in surprise.

"Normally, no," as she briefly looked at me but something in her eyes spoke otherwise that it's possible for her to die. The carriage door opens with Zander at the entrance and his hand outstretched to help Eira out. "There are ways though that a vampire can die," as she whispers  as she leaves the carriage. "Even a pureblood can be killed, the strongest kind of vampire."

The last line of hers stuck with me as I quietly followed her and Zander inside. It felt ominous but also, it was as if she was referring to herself.

Does she feel like she would die but why? I don't know if she is still hiding something from me.

I just wish she can just opened up a little bit with me and tell me what is going on.

I told her already that she can confide in me about how she is feeling. Maybe it's still harder for her to do that.

"Empress, it has been so long since you have visited us!" as an older gentleman with pepper grey hair came up to Eira, enveloping her in a huge hug. Her eyes twinkled in adoration as she responded to his hug with a hug of her own.

"Arthur, it is so good to see you. You have aged quite well," as she lets go out of his embrace and took a step back to admire the man in front of her. "Life has been treating you well I hope."

"Ah, yes," as he beamed from ear to ear. The twinkle in his grey eyes matched his smile. "I had over six healthy children with my beloved Emily. You remember, the one I introduced at our engagement dinner twenty years ago?"

"Ah yes! Emily, I do remember her!" as she gave the biggest smile. "I am assuming she is playing as the wonderful hostess for the evening."

"You are correct and don't be surprised if she is holding a little one. Might be one of our great-grandchildren. We have about five little ones this year."

"Oh my!" as she looked at him with surprise. "Your family is indeed growing. It is good to know that things have been well." For a moment, I can tell that a hint of sadness danced in her white blue eyes as she kept that smile on her face. "I am happy that life has treated you well, Arthur."

"Empress, I am just happy to see you are doing all right," as he went and took her hand, squeezing it gently. "I know the years haven't treated you nicely but I hope this dinner party can help you reconnect with the families that supported your family for several generations."

"But, Arthur," as her eyes turned away from his soft grey eyes. "Many would not follow me if I didn't find the man that has taken away their loved ones. The people they entrusted me to protect."

"Perhaps," as he squeezes her hand before letting go, a soft grandfather like smile appearing on his face. "But, time has a way to change the minds of us humans. You will see that many have forgiven you and are willing to help you again. We trust you will find him."

"Are you sure they have?" as she whispers not looking towards him. He wraps his arm around her shoulder, squeezing her a bit till she was looking at him with surprise.