XLI

Jade's POV

I used the little sink to freshen myself up a bit. I roughly brushed my teeth, scraped my tongue and spat out the toothpaste and vile taste in my mouth. It was almost enough to make my stomach churn and gag again. The doctor had given me some medication that I needed to keep taking until the excessive drugs were fully out of my system - only side effect, I was constantly sick. Or maybe that wasn't a side effect at all, maybe that was the purpose.

I rinsed my mouth thoroughly and then splashed the clean water onto my face. I gasped. The water was shockingly cold but I loved how it momentarily snapped me out of my daze. I felt better already, awake.

I rose onto the tips of my toes to study myself in the tiny mirror. How was it possible to still feel and look exhausted when all I did the past few days was sleep. My appearance was horrible and that's exactly how I felt at the moment. The blood had drained from my face, my eyes were dull with dark bags underneath. It was truly depressing to watch myself in this state.

I haphazardly ran my fingers through the strands of hair, trying to smooth down the tangled mess. It didn't change anything about my face. The only thing that might help was a long, hot shower.

The thought of home never tasted sweeter. The vibe that hung around the hospital room made my skin crawl. The smell was sickening and the food was even worse. I couldn't really complain about the medical staff, the doctors and nurses were really nice but it still didn't change how uncomfortable I felt at this place. I was literally counting the last minutes I had to spend in here.

A gentle but firm knock sounded on the door. Before I could even think of turning around to see who it was, a pair of skinny arms suddenly engulfed me in a warm embrace, squeezing too tight for comfort.

"I missed you so fucking much," Lily murmured, rocking me back and forth.

"Hey Lily," I chuckled. I tried to hug her back but her hug was too restrictive.

"I still can't believe this happened to you. You have no idea how happy I am to see you again."

Her arms squeezed tighter and I winced when my elbows dug into my ribs. "Uhm, Lily ..."

"Loosen up, will ya. She still needs to breathe," Tristan commented dryly. He walked in carrying a backpack and winked when he caught my eye.

"Oh sorry," Lily smiled sheepishly. She finally released me and gave my cheek a good-hearted pinch.

"'s okay," I smiled back.

"You ready to go, princess?" Tristan asked as he unzipped the backpack.

"Yup!" I nodded eagerly. "I can't wait to get outta here."

"You and me both," he clicked his tongue in agreement. "C'mon get dressed. The sooner we get out of here, the better."

I watched as he took out a simple pair of black leggings, a sweater and some clean underwear. I tried to meet his gaze. My brother put the clothes on the stripped bed.