Fourteen

Phoebe

Why did Lauren do that to me? I understood why she would of been mad about me lying to my mom about being at her house, but telling everyone I was lesbian? That was a low blow on her part.

I just wanted to talk to McKenna, but I bet she was busy. Plus, I didn't want to bother her with my problems.

I was walking through the empty halls on the second floor, I felt so depressed.

I finally reached the girls bathroom, not containing my emotions anymore. I was finally alone, I thought, at least.

I started to cry a waterfall. After a moment, I finally calmed down. I rubbed my eyes and my vision revealed two girls at the mirror, looking at me with confusion in their eyes. They looked like they were about fourteen, one of the girls had short brown hair, and the other one had long red hair. The girl with long red hair was much taller than the girl with short brown hair.

"Are you okay?" The girl with short brown hair asked.

I felt my cheeks heat up. I nodded and forced a fake smile. "Yeah, I am." I lied. As soon as I said that, I made my way into the handicap bathroom stall. After a minute, I finally heard the girls bathroom door shut, which indicated that the girls left. When I heard they left, I completely broke down again. I sat down on the ground in the stall.

"Why did I ever trust Lauren? Why would she do this to me? Ugh, I'm just done with everything right now." I said to myself.

I sounded so pathetic. Lauren was trying to bring me down. Well it was sort of working, but I needed to breathe.

"Breathe, Phoebe, breathe." I thught to myself.

I kept taking deep breaths in and out. I couldn't let Lauren make me feel this way.

I had people who do like me for me, like my mom, McKenna, Mitchell, and my sister.

I took one more deep breath, and I finally got off of the stall floor, which if I may add was disgusting, and opened the stall door.

I wiped the tear stains that were on my cheeks and went over to the mirror.

I looked like a trainwreck. I was definitely glad I didn't wear make up today because I would of looked like a raccoon right now.

I turned on the sink and washed my face with some cold water, and then I grabbed a paper towel from the paper towel dispenser and wiped my face till it was dry. I threw away the paper towel in the trash and made my way out of the bathroom.

As I pushed the girls bathroom door open so I could get out, I noticed the halls were still empty.

If I kept roaming the halls, I would of probably got caught and they'd think I'm skipping.

I had no one to go to, and I sure as hell couldn't go to class feeling that way.

I quickly went back into the bathroom and took my phone out of my pocket.

I dialed my mom's number and when it started ringing, I put it against my ear. God, she was going to be so pissed.

"Hey mom. Can you come pick me up, I'm not feeling too well anymore."

-

"Phoebe Jane Matthews, why would you call me to pick you up when you're not even sick? You better have a good explanation young lady!" My mom scolded at me while she drove us home.

"Mom I wa-" Before I finished my sentence though, she cut me off.

"And the fact that you didn't even get permission to leave school is even worse! You know I can't just pick you up whenever you want! You need to get an education if you want to get anywhere in life." She snapped at me.

"I'm sorry mom. You know, you didn't need to pick me up. I was better off crying in the bathroom for the rest of the day." I mumbled.

My mom stopped at the red light, and then looked at me with confusion. "You were crying?"

I nodded slowly, and then the red light turned green.

"Why?" My mom asked as she started driving again.

"Lauren told everyone I was lesbian and now everyone hates me." I shrugged, but on the inside I wanted to just cry.

My mom glanced over at me for a moment and then looked back onto the rode. "Honey, there are going to be people who wont accept you. Either you throw them out of your life, or deal with it."

Even though my mom's tough advice was true, it hurt too much to accept.

"No matter what happens though, I'll still love you." My mom gave me a smile as she pulled into our house's drive way.

I rolled my eyes. "I know, mom." I chuckled.

She nodded and unbuckled herself. "But if you do this again, you're grounded."

I nodded in understanding and unbuckled as well and we both got out of the car and went into the house.

-

"So, when do I get to meet McKenna?" My mom asked while we were both cleaning dishes.

I shrugged while I washed a dish. "We can go out for lunch on Saturday, if you aren't busy."

My mom smiled. "That would be lovely. I just can't wait to meet the girl that is making my baby girl happy."

I chuckled. "We aren't even official."

My mom dried of a dish and gave me a glance. "Maybe you should ask her out after the lunch on Saturday."

Her idea sounded great. "Even though I want her to ask me out, I doubt it'll happen, so I will."

My mom winked at me. "Go for it."

I gave her a face full of disgusted. "Don't wink at me."

She let out a small laugh and then I pulled out my phone and started to compose a text to McKenna.

"I know you're at school, but would you maybe want to go out for lunch this Saturday. My mom really wants to meet you. xx :)"

As soon as I sent it, I locked my phone and put it back in my pocket.

My mom started smiling while she dried the dishes.

"Mom, what are you smiling at?"

My mom looked up at me. "Oh nothing, I'm just really happy for you and that you're not pretending to me someone you're not."