Chapter Nine

Alex couldn't wait until Friday. Nothing exciting happened in the meantime. Chekov and Sulu were still arguing who was the better earth band in the 20/21st century. Alex didn't see much of the bridge after that incident. Dr. McCoy still kept a close eye on her and Jim, but they insisted they were fine to the doctor. It was now Friday and Alex looked at herself in the mirror one last time before heading to the mess hall. She didn't really know what to wear, so she just had on her Starfleet uniform to look less suspicious and not on a possible date with the first officer.

"You can do this," she muttered to herself as she then headed out the door.

Spock was still on the bridge as he was preparing to clock out and change shifts when the captain stopped him.

"Where are you going off to? You're not normally so eager to leave Spock," he observed.

"I just have a meeting," Spock said. Kirk eyed him, then nodded.

"Well, I won't keep you waiting," Jim said as Spock nodded.

"Good day captain," he said as he headed to the turbo lift, but the doors opened revealing Dr. McCoy.

"If it isn't my favorite Vulcan," Bones said as he stepped out.

"Doctor," Spock said as he got in and left. Bones looked at the captain.

"What's up with him?"

"I dunno, but he actually wanted to leave. Said he had a meeting," Jim replied as the doctor shared a look.

"I don't remember hearing about anything on a Friday night," Bones said.

"There isn't," Jim said. The captain looked at the doctor.

"When is your shift over? I have to stay all night otherwise I'd find out myself," Jim said quietly.

"Actually, I was finishing things up and just wanted to check on you. So far you or your sister hasn't shown any side effects these past couple days, so I guess you're in the clear," the doctor said.

"Well that's good news. Why don't you get something to eat and see if you find any pointed ears down there?" Jim suggested as Bones grinned.

"Oh, I will Jim."

Alex made it to the mess hall as she got in line to get some food. Despite her nerves, she was still hungry. She had not caught sight of Spock yet when she was looking for a place to sit.

"Mind if I join you?" she heard behind her. She nearly jumped but recognized the doctor's voice anywhere. She looked at the CMO, not sure what to say.

"Oh, hello doctor." Alex then saw Spock walk in. Bones glanced at the Vulcan too.

"Spock. Long time no see?" Bones joked.

"Hello doctor, Alex," he said.

"Are you going to join us Spock?" Bones asked. Spock was about to respond when lights flashed a red alert. Jim's voice was heard as he asked for Spock to come to the bridge.

"I'm afraid it appears I can't," Spock said.

"Well go help Jim, I'm sure he probably needs it," Bones said as Spock nodded. He glanced at Alex, but she nodded back.

"Tell him not to get into too much trouble," Alex said.

"I will," Spock said as he left.

"Dammit Jim, I just got off duty, and now you get into trouble. Well, I'm going to take my food back to Sick Bay. I'm sure your brother will get into something," Bones said defeated.