Chapter XVI

As I started my car, I couldn't help but wonder,

Why was Noah being so dry to me? Could he possibly have something to do with this?

No. It's impossible.

I entered my neighborhood and there were policemen and firefighters everywhere. As I went closer to my house, I got more and more scared. Could something happen to me?
The murderer was nearby without a doubt. He could've easily killed me if I had been home an hour ago.

"Excuse me, ma'am?" A man dressed up as a policeman said while knocking my car door.

"Yes?"

"Did you know the Harrison family?" He asked, casually.

"Yes, I did. I used to babysit the kids quite regularly," I honestly said.

The policeman wrote everything down and started walking away.

"Um, Mr. Policeman?" I called and he turned back. "How did they die?"

"Three were shot in the forehead, one was shot in the leg," he said quietly and I gasped. How awful is that?

Why would someone shoot an entire family?

As I entered my house, I heard a lot of yelling and different voices.
"One of them survived!"
"The kid is alive!"
"Someone call a doctor!"

I ran outside and found little Jenna, four years old, crying. She was scared, and didn't understand what was going on.

As soon as she saw me, she ran to my legs and hugged me tightly. I kneeled down and cleaned up her tears, realizing I was crying too.

"Diana, my leg hurts, can you call my mommy?" She whispered, and my heart broke. I looked down at her knee, and she was bleeding heavily. I don't know how she even managed to stand up.

"You are a strong girl," I told her and smiled gently, trying to hide how broken I was.
4-year-old Jenna was an orphan, and there was nothing I could do.

"Will my brother, mommy, and daddy be okay if they're strong too?" She asked weakly, and I knew nobody had told her that they were gone.

"I don't know Jenna," I responded, and the same policeman from before came to me.

"Jenna doesn't have any family in the country," he informed me. "We contacted her distant aunt that is in France, but she said she can't be here until a week from now. We would send Jenna to an orphanage or a foster family for this week, but we want her to see a familiar face.
"She ran to you with a broken leg when she saw your face,"

"Say no more," I told him. "I'll keep Jenna and take care of her,"

"Thank you," He smiled. "Take her to the hospital tonight, but make her feel comfortable and try cheering her up. Her leg isn't that damaged, so she will probably only be staying for a couple nights.
"Jenna is only four, so don't tell her anything gruesome about what happened today; try reading her books, playing with her, or bringing her ice cream,"

"I will, officer." I promised, and he nodded.

"I'll go check on her tomorrow," he said lastly, and walked away.

"Guess what, Jenna?" I said while walking to her. "I'll be taking care of you for now, kiddo. And in a few minutes we'll be making our way to the doctor. I need you to promise me something, though. Can you do that?"

She nodded bravely.

"I need you to be a strong girl."

"I can do that," she smiled.

I was going to need help while taking care of Jenna, so I took my phone out and texted the first person that came to mind. Noah.

Diana- come over to the hospital tonight. Ask for Jenna Harrison when you get there.
Diana- I won't take a 'no' as an answer.

————————————————————————————————————————

Hello guys!
I now know where this story is going and I promise it's going to be good.
I hope you like how it's going so far :)
Have an amazing day and keep reading!
Don't forget to comment and vote.

I love you all, and thank you for 800 reads!,

Anna