First You Have to Give Up

The only time there was a knock on the door was when a kid was being left at the doorstep, always very late in the evening or perhaps early morning, under the cover of darkness while the other kids were asleep.

Oftentimes, when the kids woke up in the morning they might find a new brother or sister at the table.

"Look! There's another one of us!"

"Indeedie! You kids are such a joy that God has blessed our family with another bundle."

New kids came to their home by a variety of methods.

One baby came in a wooden bucket. His brothers and sisters called him "Bucky." Naturally.

Another baby arrived in a cowboy hat turned upside down. Her nickname? "Hattie."

Yet another time two little ones, twins, joined the family in a pair of saddle bags. Their names, "Saddle and Sadie."

The knock at the door was repeated. Once again in the same familiar rhythm they had heard only once before many years ago.

The kids looked wide-eyed at one another wondering out loud what was going on at the door. They had never heard a knock before. There was never a reason for someone to knock on the door. They were never awake when a visitor came.

"Daddy. What's wrong with the door? Why is it making that noise?" Bug asked. Bug had come to live with the Hermons in a buggy.

"Bart? Are you going to get that?" Prissie asked again.

Bart's hands trembled. And his legs began to wobble. "W ... W ... We've heard that distinctive knock rhythm before."

"Daddy. What's a 'knocker thumb?" the littlest one, Pappy, asked. Pappy had been dropped off in a papoose. The Hermons had a diversity of kids who came from all over. And for that they were especially happy.

"Bart. Answer the door."

"I will. I am. I will. Gimme a moment, woman."

Bart stepped cautiously toward the door and very slowly raised the lever that held the door shut.

A muffled CLANK sounded and the door swung open slowly towards the outside.

Bart stood there motionless. After what may have been moments but seemed like minutes, Bart finally muttered, "Prissie! You'd better come to the door."

"What did you say, man?!" Prissie retorted in response to Bart's uncharacteristic 'woman' reference.

Both were acting out of character.

"Here we are getting ready to leave the mountain and no doubt still more folks are planning to join us, I reckon. Or give us more mouths to feed," Prissie chirped, trying to sound upbeat as she made her way to the door.

"Where are we going to ... " Prissie stopped mid-thought.

Both Bart and Prissie stood gaping at their newest visitor, um visitors.

All the children made a ruckus, pushing chairs back as they left the table and came running to the door. One chair fell over backwards. The children gathered around their parents, the oldest child holding the youngest in her arms. The smaller ones tugged on Prissie's dress. One hid in the creases of her long flowing dress. The older boys stood as tall as their little frames would allow them next to and just behind Bart.

"Hi, Mom. Dad. I missed you two so very much. I'm back. And, I've brought help."

Stunned. Mouths gaping. Speechless. Bart and Prissie, as if they were seeing a ghost, found themselves standing face to face with ... Artie.

"Mom. Dad. This is my wife, Rose. And our two little ones, little Bart and Silla. We've come back to help out."

Bart and Priscilla reached for one another's hands, still unable to speak.

"We would have been here sooner, but the fire. You know. The fire prevented us from getting here before now. We came as soon as we could."

"But ..." Bart finally was able to muster in response.

Artie spun around and pointed in the direction where he and his small family had just come from. "I brought some help, too."

Prissie and Bart saw coming up the hill a train of covered wagons, perhaps as many as 8 wagons long.

"Daddy. Mommy. You guys can rest now. We got this. All you need to do, and only if you want to, is love on these little ones. And you are the absolute best at loving little ones. I know. I know from experience. You can now count on me. I got Mount Hermon's back. Can I come in and meet the others here?"

========================================================