Sweet Sixteen

(As told by Jayla Venston Delaney)

I am woken up by Carissa blowing on my dad's trumpet to the tune of Happy Birthday. I cover my ears with my pillow and wait for it to be over.

"Are you fucking kidding me?" I muffle while Carissa is still playing.

"Happy sweet sixteen, Jayla!" Carissa yells, "come on, we gotta get ready for school!"

"What the hell, dude?" I ask. I rub my eyes and put my face in my hands, trying to wake up.

My dad comes downstairs, snatches his trumpet from Carissa, and yells, "dude, what the fuck was that for?! You woke the whole house up!"

"I was blowing on it to the tune of Happy Birthday to wake up Jayla."

"There was no need for that. But now, we're all ready to start the day."

Carissa snickers when my dad walks back upstairs. "Sorry," she mouths at me, then finishes laughing.

We both head upstairs for breakfast. I get to eat a small double chocolate cake with my breakfast. My mom sticks the candle on my cake, lights it up, then everyone sings Happy Birthday to me.

Once I take a bite of my breakfast, everyone else starts eating. I end up finishing my pancakes, bacon, and eggs in ten minutes, then wolf down the cake. I start having fantasies of when I get my license in a couple weeks. I end up looking forward to not having to ride with Carissa to school anymore, but instead taking my own rig.

I head back downstairs to get dressed, brush my teeth, and put on my makeup for the day. I feel like a total badass when I swipe on my dark orange lipstick. I only apply a small amount of eyeliner, and create a tiny wing. I decide to wear my red hair extensions and Dutch braid my hair.

Once I pack everything into Carissa's car, I say goodbye to my dad before he goes off to work. Carissa tells my mom she's leaving with me.

"Have a good day, girls. Drive safe, Rissa!"

"I will."

We both get into the car and head over to school. Carissa tells me she wants to take me out to lunch.

"Where at?"

"Why don't you find out?"

"Whatever."

"Hehe."