Chapter 2

2nd chapter up!  Third will be coming soon!  Comments and vote!

     Elrohir pulled his horse up and glanced at the rapidly declining sun.  "We should begin to look for a place to spend the night," he told his companions.  They both nodded.  A few minutes later, after traveling further through the forest, they found a small clearing beside a tiny trickle of a stream.  Elladan watered their horses, and Elrohir set up the camp with Ioreth helping.

     "No fire?"  Elladan asked disappointedly, seeing the bare ground.

     "No," Elrohir said.  "We can't risk more orcs coming upon us.  However, we do have lembas bread!"  Here he waggled his eyebrows dramatically, but Elladan shook his head.  "I'm actually not that hungry."

     Elrohir frowned.  "You're always hungry - "

     "So are you," his twin retorted, but Elrohir continued, " - have you been feeling nauseous?"

     "Maybe," Elladan reluctantly admitted.

     "Let me see the arrow wound," Elrohir ordered, starting for his brother.  Elladan knew he would be persistent until he got what he wanted, so he sighed and let his brother peel the bandages off his shoulder.

     Elrohir pulled the athelas leaves out of the way and stared at his brother's shoulder for a moment.

     "What is it?"  Elladan asked; he had turned his head and was watching two of their horses wrestle over a carrot Ioreth was feeding them.

     "The arrow was poisoned," Elrohir said matter-of-factly.  His twin gave him a brief glance before returning his gaze to the pretty elleth and the horses.  "Well, that isn't good, I assume?"

     "It depends on what type of poison was on the crossbow bolt," Elrohir said grimly.  "It could kill you within a few days, or it might take a week."

     Elladan shook his head.  "We're only a day from Imladris.  I'm sure Ada can heal this once we get there."

     "Yes, that is so."  Elrohir started wrapping the wound back up, but replaced the athelas leaves with fresh ones.  "Just tell me if you feel faint or light-headed."

     "Very well."  Elladan tugged his tunic back up with his right hand, wincing at the pull on his wound, then re-laced the ties on his tunic.  "I'll take the first watch."

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

     Elrohir woke suddenly, his eyes focusing on his surroundings.  The edge of the sky was faintly pink; the sun was coming up.  Why had he woken?  The elf rolled out of his cloak and stood to his feet lightly, glancing around the clearing.  Why had Elladan not woken him for the second watch?  Elrohir looked over and spied Ioreth bundled up in her green cloak, seated on a high tree branch, her eyes glazed over and staring off into the distance.  She was obviously asleep, but Elladan was nowhere in sight.

     Since it was apparently morning, Elrohir rolled up the blanket he had lain on during the night and placed it with his saddlebags, then went to look for his brother.  He could feel his shoulder throbbing, a reminder that his twin had been shot by the orc filth.  He could feel the bond with his twin tugging him toward the stream they were near, and he went that way, his feet making no noise on the soft ground.

     Elrohir found Elladan crouched tirelessly next to the small trickle of water, his dark-haired head bowed, a slight grimace on his face.  "Elladan?"

     The elf's head flew up, and he smiled lightly at his brother.  "A, I hadn't noticed you."

     "So I see."  Elrohir crouched down next to him.  "How is your shoulder?"