Grehafen

The air is heavy with impending snow as Jenna's eyes tighten and she hesitates midsip, those actions saying no even as she voices yes, she's willing to pretend to be Aidan's lover.

Evonalé sighs, wobbling a bit on her chair. She catches the slate where she's drafting ideas for how to find out what she needs to for the government thing and puts it in a more secure spot on the table. "I'm not— This isn't an order, okay? It would just be useful, so I'm asking. I can figure out something else."

The woman's gaze sharpens even before it flicks to the slate, reminding Evonalé that she's a bit older and probably more adept at governing. (Management so obviously makes sense to Jenna, which is why she's the seneschal. Four years in, and Evonalé still has no idea what she's doing, and everyone she could ask for help has worse problems than she does.)

"I am willing," Jenna says evenly. "Maybe it'll even help the nightmares. But this? Why can't we come up with another reason for you to be splitting, like just pointing to the failure to conceive? Maybe you never consummated."

Evonalé blinks at her. "You think people would believe that?"

Aidan gets outright mocked for how affectionate he can be in public.

Jenna frowns, mulling on the point, and pausing a moment on the slate. "You're more interested in an excuse that others would find believable rather than being concerned about the long-term consequences of suggesting you're a controlling bastard like your father."

The insult burns, as it was so obviously meant to.

The other woman also reads Evonalé's answer in her face. "Some people already think you're some kind of evil witch who's corrupted two 'good' human families."

"That is why some people are trying to have me killed," she answers, bemused, "though I think most are just pissed off about what I am and, um..."

She can't say it. It's been years, but it's harder to talk about her father now than it was when he was alive and she was hiding from him. Why is it harder?

Jenna's eyes narrow further. She actually experienced sorts of the abuse Evonalé was only ever threatened with, which just increases the frustration. Jenna experienced worse—and, four years later, still lacks the web of support that Evonalé has, between Aidan and her friends—yet...

Evonalé waves off her concern, fumbling for the pot of tea.

Jenna swipes the teapot herself and tops up both their cups and moves more of the finger sandwiches from the center platter to Evonalé's plate. "Yes, your father was a horrible man whose other children fortunately didn't survive to succeed him. I happen to like your husband."

She doesn't track the connection. "I'm sorry?"

"I like your husband," Jenna repeats briskly, pausing a moment to glance over the entering Kitra before continuing, "I'll be tempted, which will make him uncomfortable—no matter that you frankly wouldn't mind if he reciprocated or acted—which will sabotage what you're trying to do. So while I am willing to partake in such a farce, I will not in the current context. What are you angling for on those census questions you're drafting?"

Kitra freezes in the middle of grabbing some tea for herself. She looks between the two of them. "I'm sorry, I thought this was a conversation about the Salles situation and concerned me. I'll—"

"No, no, no. Sit. Stay." Evonalé stretches with a foot to nudge the chair near Kitra. "You've governed before, right? And you know what those demcrasy things look like."

Kitra's face goes pained. "Democracies, Evonalé."

"You're what?" Jenna asks sharply, then lays into Evonalé about running slipshod and stupid and the importance of considering historical context and...

Wait a minute. "Grehafen's had democracy before?"

The woman cuts short. "Sort of. Back before your dynasty was founded, local governors were elected and the ruler was closer to a high priest and responsible for social programs like you're doing. Did you seriously do that without knowing the precedent?"

Kitra barks out a laugh. "I get why she likes you."

"Hmm?" Jenna glances at her and scowls. "Yes, yes. We don't acknowledge that. Dear Creator, her husband's pissy enough about it as it is."

Evonalé has no idea what Jenna means, but that's normal when the woman uses that particular tone of voice. Kitra's sniggering, though, so she figures she's been right in assuming it's nothing bad.