Chapter 45

Lissa and Christian got very excited about this getaway week, as they really needed it after the whole Victor incident. And don't we all? This is the best thing that could have happened to us. To get away and to have a good time together and to forget about all the bad that happened to us. Of course, they got even happier when they found out that we are going to Russia and in addition, with Dimitri's private jet. Ever since I told them about my previous trip with Dimitri, they got very eager to try that too one day. Especially Christian. His eyes kept on glowing like a little kid's at an amusement park for the whole time. I can say that he is very proud of my rich as fuck boyfriend.

Day 1

After we land, we get into a car that Dimitri rented and we head to Baia, his hometown. We are going to get there in two hours, which is enough for me to take in the beautiful late summer landscapes of Russia's roads. As Dimitri is driving, I lower the window on my side and let the warm breeze blow my hair. I have always liked days like these. It's summer, but the sun is not roasting you as you walk on the street, it doesn't make the asphalt melt under its heatness, but lightly warms your skin, and the wind is gently blowing, allowing you to take in deep clear breaths of air. Too bad that the summer is coming to an end pretty soon. I would surely miss the early mornings spent with Dimitri at the beachside, watching the sunrise cuddled. That became one of our favorite places in this entire town and often find ourselves going there.

And speaking of him, I feel his fingers brushing lightly on the skin on my knee and upward over my dress, probably blindly looking for my hand. I love it when he does that, how he thinks about me even when he's doing little things like driving. I entangle our fingers and squeeze on his hand and he smiles lightly, his eyes still pinned on the road. Gosh, I just can't wait to spend this time this week with him.

With my attention distracted from the road, I take a look into the central mirror and see Lissa sleeping on Christian's lap, him passing his hand through her golden strands as he is conscientiously reading a parenting book. Who would have thought that someone as Christian would get so serious in such a short period of time? All he can talk about these days is their little baby and he is so proud of Lissa's little bump. Would Dimitri be like that too if I would get pregnant one day? It would be so nice to see him like this. I bet he would do the baby talk in Russian so that no one would ever know. He always tries to seem so tough.

And I guess that the flight tired Lissa. She doesn't have any other pregnancy symptoms, except that she gets tired really fast. I guess that she is one of the lucky ones. It could be worse from what I have heard. Oh, and of course. She eats for two. I swear she can eat much more than me now, which is not that little, trust me. And I must say I am a little jealous now. No one used to overtake me into that area.

And as I analyze her angelic sleeping face, my eyes suddenly land on her cast. It is full of colorful silly drawings, made by the little kids that she is taking care of at the hospital. I can't help myself not to feel guilty for that thing. She shouldn't be wearing that. She doesn't deserve to be in that position. It should have been me that day, my brain keeps on reminding me. And if it would have been me, things would have been much worse than they are now. Maybe we wouldn't have been here now if I were the one driving Dimitri's car that day.

Lissa wakes up along the way and we start talking again about all kind of things, from what names they should pick for their baby to what Russian dishes we should definitely try while we are here and what we should do along these free days we have, but at some point my mouth shuts and I zone out, not participating at the conversation anymore, and I think about what would happen if Victor would manage to do something that he said he'd do that day when we visited him. What if he finds a way? Is there really a way for him to do something? Or what if Tasha won't calm down? She hasn't done anything yet, but she might. She is not the kind of person to give up easily. But I hope she will. With all my heart. I want this shit to be done. I want to simply be with Dimitri, no other obstacles. We have made some of them ourselves and I believe we deserve to be happy and left alone.