Chapter Four

They’d just reached the exit when the bike started sputtering. Aarushi slowed down, stopping the bike at the roadside. She swore under her breath. What now?

“I really don’t want to say this, but...I told you so.” Will sang as he jumped off the bike.

Ignoring him, Aarushi ran her eyes over the dials, examining each one. She slapped her palm against her forehead as she remembered.

“The tank’s empty.” She told him. “Idiot,” she muttered to herself.

“The petrol pump is at the next intersection. We’ll have to walk there.” She explained, getting off and grabbing the bike’s handlebars.

She looked up to see Will scanning their surroundings and she did the same. For a few moments, she’d forgotten about it, about the danger. 

“Umm, here. I’ll hold it.” Will suggested, gesturing towards the bike. 

“I can do it, no worries.” Aarushi said, not letting go of the handlebars.

“I insist. I won’t let go, if that’s what you’re worrying about.”

Aarushi shook her head. She stared at him for a second, wondering if it was a good idea, before nodding and letting him handle the bike.

They walked to the end of the road in silence, horns and blares from the traffic ringing through the air. The petrol pump was at across the road, with a barrage of vehicles blocking their way. Will stopped just a couple of steps away from the crossing, swallowing.

“It’s been years since I got here, but this traffic still terrifies the shit out of me.” he admitted, staring at the cars that whizzed by with wide eyes.

Aarushi laughed. It had taken her all of her life to get the hang of it, it was no surprise it scared Will. 

“But you pulled me off the highway, right?” Aarushi said, her voice loud enough to carry over all the honking vehicle.

“Yeah, but I was running then, using my powers. Here, I'll have to walk.” 

“Tell you what, I’ll cross with the bike and you can get there with your super speed or whatever power it is that you use.” Aarushi suggested, stopping herself from teasing him.  

Will scanned their surroundings once again before nodding. 

Aarushi waited for a break in the traffic and then calmly made her way to the other side, turning her head every which way to spot any oncoming vehicle. If you live in India, you’d be pretty familiar with the roads and how to travel through them without dying. And if you don’t, well, hopefully you’ll never have to experience it yourself. 

As she reached the petrol pump, she realized Will was already there.

“Damn. It’s a wonder you’re still alive. How do you do that?” Will asked, amazed.

“Practice.” Aarushi answered, wincing. She was alive...but her dad had fallen prey to this mad traffic...Hadn’t he? She shook the thought away. Now was not the time to be thinking about it.

She got enough petrol for a couple of days before they got back on the road. 

She zigzagged her way through the growing traffic, and she was sure she heard Will swear a couple of times. It made her grin. One of the things she loved about riding a bike was the thrill that came with it. The adrenaline rush of getting so close to a racing car and then leaning away, seconds before you could be turned into a bloody carpet. 

She wondered if her love for riding had something to do with her dad’s accident. Was she trying to get herself killed? She had no idea. But she did know that she loved riding her bike as much as she loved her books. But clearly, Will didn’t.