Chapter 29: An unforgettable storm

Roman stopped walking. I hadn't paid too much mind to where we were heading just listening while looking down at the path. I then realized we were where we needed to be and I lifted my head up in complete shock. There was a whole field of roses that looked like it stretched out fields long. My mouth hung open in wonderment. This was so beautiful and so sad at the same time. I was in complete loss of words.

"It's been a year and a half now but I spread out all the roses a part so that when they flowed they had enough space."

"How do they survive in this cold?"

"I take care of them and they are the ones that can survive here. It's really magical to be honest with you. They call it the weeping rose because of the way the flower hangs. Kind of like when they start dying, like in beauty in the beast. Have you watched that movie?"

"I love that movie!" I exclaimed. "But that is amazing. That name fits them well. wow." I bit my lip. "Thank you Roman, for showing me this." I felt honored because he said he hasn't shown anyone this. He was a beautiful soul.

"Of course, I felt the need to for some reason." He then let go of my hand and bent down to pluck a rose down from the ground and stood back by me and gently raised the flower in front of me. "For you. Because you've made me miss him a little less."

________________________________________________________________________________

Walking back to the house, I could feel my heart flutter.  My time here with Roman was what made me feel like my life was worth it.  He was the distraction and comfort I needed when I didn't have it.   We had talked for hours in the rose bushes and forgot about the world that was happening around us.  It was special and so very nice. 

Once back, everyone was circled around the fireplace with smores. This night was getting much better for me.  The past couple nights have been very unusual and things seemed to be going so fast and over my head.  I hovered my eyes to see all the teachers gathered around outside the circle conversing with each other.  It was a nice scene that I hadn't seen ever in my life. Roman and I sat down next to each other right next to Gabe and Jack who were playing a game of stares.  It was kind of amusing to watch since both boys didn't wants to give up.  I rested my head on Romans, feeling my body ache just a bit and my nose start to stuff up from the fire.  I could only sigh.  Me and heat never do so good together.  One time in one of my earlier homes, we were aloud to go camping.  We had made a campfire and that night I got sick, for I don't know what reason but I didn't want to disrupt everyone else's enjoyment but I would soon learn I didn't have to be the one to do that.

Mrs. Salazar stood up and the room grew silent.  She had that affect on people.  She glazed over at all the children then her eyes left on me.  "Luna, Ms. Adisa and Mrs. Clabourg have spoken with me and the other staff members here and we need to get this clear in the open.  There are still things we must keep from you but with the dangers ahead, we can not keep this secret in much longer. "

I stared in confusion.  "What do you mean dangers ahead? I'm really not following?  Is the dangers in relation to what happened with the Charmers?" I said, remembering the nights that just surpassed me.

Everyone's attention was on me and Mrs. Salazar. 

Mrs. Salazar licked her lips and scrunched them as if she was nervous. Then she let out a long sign.  "It's come to my attention that there are certain people and things happening around you that have been peculiar.  I want to be able to say exactly what it is that is happening to you Luna but unfortunately I had made a declaration of silence being your previous house mother.  But I can only say some things that will not break my code so, over the next couple of days we will share things to you in the best ways we know we can.  The other teachers here are obligated to one piece of the puzzle but it will still be up to you to accept your fate or not.  We can not do this for you." Mrs. Salazar in this moment almost looked defeated.  She had never looked the way that she did standing there.  She was always horrible to me, never wanted any good from me, and now she was standing there struggling to be nice in some type of form.  I was intrigued but also a little mortified at what may be the next words coming out of her mouth.

"I will start with this piece of information." She slowly led on as she looked to the ceiling. 

"Long ago in the far past, when I was just a young adult.  There was a blizzard storm that tore and shook the ground around me.  I was outside with other teens and I had lost my balance getting stuck in the snow.  All the others had ran back to their homes when this had occurred.  I remembered crying, yelling for help but it was as if no one could hear me.  In the distance I saw two figures come out of that storm and they carried something in their hands. It was two parents holding two children. The mother had long beautiful silver hair and the father had black streaming long hair that had gone past his shoulders.  They looked like royalty.  They had taken one of each of my arms and pulled me from the snow.  I couldn't have thanked them enough for all they had done.  It was a blessing.  I hugged them both as they still had carried the babies in their hand.  I glanced into both babies blanket.  Both of them were girls.  They were both beautiful.  The couple said their goodbyes to me and left, continuing on to their journey.  Years later I had gotten a mysterious knock on my door.  There stood two infant girls, still beautiful as ever.  I couldn't forget that storm where I had first saw them.  I ran out the door and searched all around the house, but no one was there.  There parents did not come with them and I couldn't help but wonder what may have happened within those years that made them think of me.  Of course, I took those two girls in and raised them.  I do not know how to be a mother but I tried to be the best mother I could be... well at least for a few years.  As you all know, I had loved a man once and he brought me here, where we are to this home.  He let me be myself and loved me for who I was and loved the girls endlessly."  Mrs. Salazar spoke as if she was re-living those times over again but her tone suddenly changed to a dark somber song and her eyes looked straight into a dark pit.

"He packed his bags one day and said he could not be with me anymore for there was a truth that he could not bear to say.  He left and ran into a mist and never returned.  It reminded me of these two girls parents.  I drove myself mad thinking about the man that I loved and the girls that I had brought into my home.  The man left me the home and suddenly my mood only grew dimmer."  She paused choosing her next few words quietly. "I say all of this to say Luna, you were one of those children, and this is the story of you and your sister."

(EDITED VERSION)