Chapter 9|Noah

"Why would you even go there?" Conner said shaking his head with a smile plastered on his face as I told him what happened today.

We were at his place playing video games. Killing virtual characters is a great way to let some steam off.

"They are taking interns plus you know how successful they are. It would have been great to start there. That was of course before her." I let out a sign and cursed under my breath my bad luck.

"What is it about this chick that you hate so much? You barely know her." He sounded confused. That's true I don't know her, but I know her kind. They are all the same. Bullies that don't have to answer to anyone.

I learned that the hard way in high school. But I've grown since then and I will not allow to anyone to mess with me again.

"It's her attitude. She was talking about that check like it was nothing. Just another of her charity causes. And apparently in her land the word no doesn't exist. "

Conner started laughing out of the blue and I looked at him like he was crazy. The hell?

"You wanna know what I think?" he said between his laughs. "I think that you like her so much but you haven't realized it yet. If you were in kindergarten you'd pulling her pigtails and pushing her down."

"Oh, hell no. you totally out of your mind." I said quickly shutting that nutcase down. I didn't like her. I didn't like her at all.

Yeah, keep saying that!

Wow, now my subconscious was fucking with me too. Well, I didn't like her.

If I didn't know who she was or know of her sure wouldn't kick her out of bed but now that I do everything else is a moot point. Her reputation is a turn off for me.

Liar, liar pants on fire.

Oh, fuck off.

In cause that you were wondering that's the definition of an internal struggle. Sometimes subconscious can be a bitch. That's why I'm gonna mute mine. Feelings have no place here, it's only logical. Like Spock would say.

"You're a stubborn son of a bitch. Just let yourself go for once you fucking robot. Stop using only logic. Sometimes it's good to think with your dick only." He said wiggling his eyebrows playfully chugging his beer.

"Yeah, right. And where exactly did that helped you?" I said smiling as he shrugged a bit.

"Sex helps taking your tension off. Do you remember how it feels or your virginity has grown back after all this time?" he said smirking and I threw a pillow at him laughing.

"You are an ass."

My phone starting ringing and the number was unknown. I shushed Conner before I answered.

"Hello?"

"Noah, this is Dan Brody." I sat up and froze in my spot.

"Can you hear me?" he said again.

"Yes. Sorry." I said after the uncomfortable long pause.

"I'II like to make you an offer."

"Sir, with all due respect if this is about the car.." I started but he cut me off mid-sentence.

"No, no. I'll like to make you a job offer."

"Like a job-job?" I said totally surprised and I bet I sounded like a dumbass.

"Yes. An actual job." He said again and I would bet money he was smiling.

"Okay?"

"Look, my dad is overseas for some meetings, closing an important deal. I don't think is coming back any time soon and the work has piled up. So I could really use your help. You can work around your schedule. I don't want to mess with your education. For a fee of course." He said and I felt my mouth rise into a smile and then turned into a frown almost immediately.

"Thank you, sir, but I assume this has something to do with the whole car accident. I don't need you or your sister to do me any favors so I have to decline." I said firmly and saw Conner slapping his forehead because of my stupidity.

"I respect your dignity but I can assure you that is has nothing to do with that. I don't want to be in the middle of this mess with Rachel. That's your problem. This is about the company's interest. Well, mine too."

I thought about it for a second. This was great opportunity. Working For Brody lines had some value in a future resume. Not to mention the experience I would get for working with one of the high level partners.

"I can have your word for that?" stubborn as I am I asked again.

"Yes."

"Okay then." I said nodding.

"It might not be for very long though. But if you do well we can discuss for a more permanent position."

"You mean like an internship?"

"No. I mean like hiring you. You look very good on paper, I have employs with half your qualities, I just need to see for myself how you perform under pressure. Otherwise I would have hired you on the spot on our meeting. Do want to discuss your salary?"

"There is no need for that. My plan was an unpaid internship so whatever it is, it would better than that." I said and relaxed a little.

"Okay then. Do we have a deal?" I heard him say. I hesitated for a second but then I signed loudly. I needed this.

"Yes, sir."

"Please don't call me sir. Leave that for my father. Email me your schedule so I can see when can we start and I'll email you the details."

"Thank you. Goodnight." I said and hanged up. I stayed silent for a moment even though I could see Conner pleading with his eyes to tell him what happened.

"Well?" he said impatiently.

"Looks like I got a job." I couldn't help the smile forming in my face as I said those words.

"You are the man!" Conner said standing up clapping his huge hands with force and then motioning me to high five him.