29. One slice of that PIZZA, please.

Harieth

I rubbed my hands together, feeling a bit nervous in regards to what I’m about to do. Honestly, I don’t even know if this is the right thing to do during this hour of trouble, all I know is that the thought of doing it makes me feel better, safer.

I looked up away from my hands and that’s when I saw him at the entrance into the shop. I gave a light wave to him and he nodded in recognition once his eyes fell on me. In a minute, he had taken his seat opposite me and his appearance seemed nothing lesser than the last time I saw him.

“So, is it done?” Dad asked with hope filled eyes. Without rendering a reply, I pushed the envelope on the table closer to him. He was quick to pick it up and fish out the papers within. Once his eyes scanned through, his expression fell.

His eyes went back to me.

“What’s this Harieth?” The tone in his voice was demanding. I drew in a deep breath, recalling all the careful thinking I had done through the night and how I landed in this moment. There was no going back. I have to be myself.

“That is what I chose.”

“You chose?”

“Yes.” My reply was quick and what followed was a silent stare from him. I watched him run a hand through his hair.

“Look, I understand that your company is in deep trouble and that you have to somehow result to this but I… I can’t make Christian sign those papers. We… there’s something new, different and special about our relationship. I can talk to him. I’m sure he’ll listen; he’ll want to help…”

“Your company?” He cut me off. A light chuckle followed on his part.

“You’re in love with him and now you believe you’re one of them.” He stated and I looked away from him for a moment, feeling a bit guilty and embarrassed that he deciphered my true feeling quite quickly.

“Harieth is safe so everyone else can go to hell.” He added forcing me to shift my eyes back to him.

“Even till the end, you’re selfish.”

“That’s not true. I married Christian because you told me that it would save the company and the both of us.”

“Wrong! You married him because in true sense, that’s the safest you can ever be amidst all this trouble. You married him for his money, for your comfort, admit it.”

His words sunk deep and for the moment, I didn’t have anything more to say to him. Dad was always like this. It always has to be his way or I’m the villain.

“However small this is, I’m happy. Your daughter is happy. Isn’t that enough for you to trust me?” I expressed as I stretched out both hands on the table towards his.

I matched my eyes with his, searching and hoping that he sees the fact that regardless of what he says, I love him and care deeply about him. He’s the only family I’ve got left. I would literally do anything for him but this… he has to understand that there has to be another way out. This can’t be it.

He withdrew his hands away from mine and stood to his feet, glaring down at me.

“I wish you died that night instead of her, at least I’ll be sure my daughter is gone.” Having said that, he walked away leaving his last words to haunt and sting me.

The memory of that night flashed across my mind and I shook my head, refusing to give into the thought. Tears threatened to trickle down at the thought that I might have possibly lost my father. How dreadful.