→ kids

request: no
warnings: mentions of cheating, swearing

+++

The anger that was continually bubbling up inside of you was almost eating you alive. You patiently waited for the front door to swing open as you had been doing ever since you put your two sons to bed four hours ago.

It wasn't unusual for your husband to come stumbling through the door at ridiculous times in the morning, but he'd been acting differently recently and you'd finally figured out what was going on.

You got through another two cigarettes before the slam rang against the cold walls. Normally, you'd be on your feet to take Arthur's coat and help him put his shoes away but, to be quite honest, you'd had enough.

"Love?" his gruff voice called out to find your whereabouts. You didn't make a single noise in response. Instead, you waited for him to stumble into the living room and flop down onto the sofa next to you.

Arthur had noticed your silence and let out a groan. "The fuck's wrong this time?"

"Cut the shit Arthur," you mumbled, stubbing your cigarette out in the process. "I could smell her perfume on you from the second you stepped into the room."

This time, Arthur was the one to stay deadly quiet. He didn't know what to say; he knew there were no excuses and he'd been caught red handed.

"So, who was it? Someone you grabbed from a pub? A girl in that brothel you used to go to? Some woman from-"

Your livid rambling was cut off when Arthur's hand forcefully grabbed ahold of your wrist tightly. You shook your wrist in fury and he released it in shock, knowing the alcohol racing through his system made him violent. He never wanted to hurt you, even on your worst days.

"Don't you dare touch me like that after you had the audacity to fuck another woman." you scowled as you stood up. Leaning against the fireplace was the best option to be far enough away from the man you somehow love.

"The kids were getting too much. It was just in the moment, love. Didn't mean anything."

One of your eyebrows involuntarily raised as you let out a scoff. "The kids? Getting too much for you? Arthur, you're never bloody home for heavens sake."

"I'm sorry." He rose to his feet, face full of regret because he realised what damage he'd done.

"I don't want your empty apologies Arthur."

"Please love-"

His pleads were interrupted when your two year old appeared in the doorway calling out for you. Immediately, you rushed over and gave Arthur a warning look.

"What's up baby?" you asked the toddler in your arms. He rubbed his eyes tiredly and looked between his parents with confusion.

"Shouting."

He snuggled his little face into the crook of your neck and you reach for the door handle.

"Arthur," you called your husband's name even though his focus has only been on you. "I'm going to put this one back to bed, then I'm going to bed myself. We can talk in the morning."

So, you closed the living room door and walked up the stairs to put your youngest back to bed, heart heavy and aching at the sudden emptiness.

Sleep was hard to fall into without Arthur by your side, and you were almost happy when you felt the bed dip a couple of hours later. However, the happiness quickly faded when you remembered where your husband had been just hours beforehand.

"I washed." Arthur spoke towards your back which was faced to him. Relief washed over you and you let out a grunt in acknowledgement.

"I wish I could take it back, you know. I need to stop drinking, it fucks with my head and makes me do things I regret. It's no excuse, I know that, but I thought you deserved to find out that I'm going to try harder now, for you and our boys. You're more important to me than you think, love." Arthur poured his heart out sleepily.

By the time you finally found the words to respond to his little speech, soft snores are pouring from his mouth and you kept it to yourself, knowing everything will be alright in the end.