Ch 1. Apocalypse

"i don't pay attention to the
world ending.
it has ended for me
many times
and began again in the morning."

Your father always told you that the weak were not meant to live. He would repeat that same sentence before you received a daily beating. He told you that so that you'd know your meaning, your purpose in this world.

You had the bruises and scars to prove it, prove that you were just a worn out punching bag to your father. He'd get drunk on some nights- the nights where he'd take you to his room and show you what it meant to be a woman in his house.

It was on one of those nights in which he died. He collapsed against the table at dinner. There wasn't an ounce of sadness in your heart. It was the same for your mother. She died with a needle in her left arm.

Both of your parents hated you. That was a fact. They wished for a boy. When a baby girl came out of your mother's body they were horrified, disgusted even.

They tried for another baby, but they only got you. A monster in their eyes.

Nine months, wasted.

--

Inhale and exhale. Over and over again. Running on the empty road until you found something, someone, to help you.

When you screamed and shouted nobody showed up. It was like your childhood was flashing in front of your eyes.

"Help," You whispered, voice hoarse.

You were fighting against tree branches. Pushing forward. Your feet were burning with every heavy touch to the ground.

You were about to give in to your urges and collapse onto the ground when a blue tent came into view. A woman with long brown hair was sitting with a child in front of the tent. They seemed to be talking about something, but you didn't know what.

Your knees began to tremble as you fell to the ground with a large thud. The woman and her child turned their heads towards the noise and squeaked in surprise as they saw you. The boy stood up and clung onto his mother as you tried to stand up.

"Help me," You said. Your fists were clenched as you struggled to stand.

The child stepped towards you as you reached your hand in their direction. His mother pulled him back when he tried to help you up. He looked toward her and said, "Mom, she's hurt! We're gonna help her right?"

"Honey, we can't just help some stranger. She could have been bitten. She could turn into one of those things at any time." She started to walk away, probably looking for someone to put you of your misery.

"Wait, I wasn't bitten by anything. Don't kill me. Not yet." Your throat was burning as you spoke. You desperately needed water.

The woman turned and gave out a heavy sigh. She held her hand out for you to take and that was when you realized, maybe you weren't alone in this world.

--

"Are you sure you're alright, (Y/N)?" Lori asked wiping your forehead with a warm cloth.

You nodded and gulped down the water she gave you. Her group allowed you to stay with them. You didn't look like you could do much harm anyway.

Boy, were they wrong. They probably wouldn't ever find out about your past though. There wasn't any reason to tell them about it.

Lori already told the rest of the group your name. She also told you what their names were, though you probably would never care. They'll all die soon anyway. Everyone you care about either hates you or leaves you. You learned that the hard way.

Most of them seemed nice, but if they had to, they'd leave you in a heartbeat. You weren't friends with any of them, and you didn't plan to be. You just had to be nice so that they didn't kick you out.

"Do you have anybody else? A group?" Lori asked.

"No."

"Family?" She looked at you curiously.

"Dead. Before all this."

"Oh, I'm sorry," She said, falling silent.

"Don't be, they didn't care about me, nor did I care about them," You said standing up and walking out of the RV.

You walked down to the quarry where Amy and Andrea have sat a few feet away from you, washing everyone's laundry. You sat on the ground and looked out into the water. It glistened a vibrant blue. You could see your reflection in it. Your hair was disheveled along with your clothes. You were a complete mess, on the inside and the outside.

Your thoughts were broken by a shaking hand on your shoulder. You flinched and reached for your knife, but you were relieved when you saw that it was only Carl.

"Mom, says you can share a tent with somebody. She also said you can sleep in the RV if you want," He looked unsure as he spoke.

He was afraid of you.

He should be, you thought.

You shook your head and stood up, making him back away slightly.

"Who would I be sharing a tent with?" You asked.

He shrugged and replied by saying, "Mom doesn't know yet. She said for you to ask around."

"I'll just stay in the RV for now," You said getting up and walking away from the shaken boy.

You weren't about to go starting conversations with people you hardly knew. You weren't that kind of person.