chapter 22

Chapter 22

I sat on a log on Saturday night long after thegame had finished. A massive bon fire was situated mere feet in front of me.The heat burned my face, causing me to shake my messy hair in front of it toprotect it.

All around me there were people drinking, having fun, celebratingthe team's most recent win over a neighboring state's college's soccer team. Iloved this sort of atmosphere. I had been with Lucas for most of the day, thenwe had the game where we had to act like we were just friends. Coming to theparty and knowing I had to sEmily away from him was agonizing. Being around himwould be bad.

Even Eddie had said earlier tonight that the few times I hadtalked to Lucas during the game, my body language was too obvious. I didn'teven touch Lucas and Eddie could see it. That was why I had to keep mydistance. Lucas was with Erik and a couple other guys I didn't recognize butthey seemed nice enough. Erik and Lucas were friends, sort of. I would say theywere more like acquaintances. Thankfully I wasn't jealous of Erik, not like howI was with Casey.

Even though I was keeping my distance I was still watching Lucaslike a hawk. I knew it was probably a little stalkery, but what else was new? Ijust wanted to make sure nothing happened. Both of us were very precautiousbecause of what happened last time, but with no Ethan here, everything shouldbe fine.

We were both sticking to water or soda tonight too and didn't letanyone near our drinks. I glanced at Eddie who was sitting next to me. This wasthe first time we really had a chance to catch up properly today. "So...how'sliving with Casey?" I asked after a few minutes of not talking. "It'salright," he said, and silence fell once again. It was a normalconversation but I was so paranoid he was upset with me because of all of this."Are you mad at me?" I asked.

He sighed and looked at me, shaking hishead, "No. I'm not mad at you, Connor." "You seem annoyed,"I said skeptically. "Because last night you asked me that like five times.Dude, I'm cool with switching rooms. Chill out," he said. "Okay,okay. I just don't want things to be weird," I said defensively."They're not. Relax, man. How's life with you know who anyway?" heasked. "It's okay," I said, holding back a bit on how I really felt."It's okay," he mocked my voice, "Don't give me that. Give methe details," "There are no details," I said, but couldn't helpthe smile from forming. I looked down at the ground, away from him. "Areyou two getting serious?" he asked. "We've only been together forlike a week," I pointed out. "You and I both know something's been goingon there for longer than a week," he said.

I didn't say much, mostlybecause he was right and I didn't want him to know that. Mine and Lucas'relationship did feel a lot longer and more intense than a normal relationshipwould, or at least on my end it felt like that. I didn't really know what Lucaswas feeling. "Is this what we do now? Mushy little heart to hearts?"I joked. "Maybe.

Consider me your conscience," he said. "Thedevil on my shoulder," I corrected him. "Angel...on yourshoulder," he said warningly. I rolled my eyes and shook my head. Lookingto my left I saw a familiar person walking over; Casey.

He had his sights seton us and I inwardly groaned. "Have you spoken to him yet?" Eddieasked. I looked to him, seeing him looking in the same direction I had justbeen. "Nope," I said simply. "Are you going to?" he asked."I don't know," I muttered. "I think you should. I mean, Lucas'gotten over what he did.

You're the only one with a grudge," he said."I don't have a grudge," I argued. "Sure you do. You should sortit out. You've been friends forever," he said. "Nah, not rightnow," I shook my head. "Now seems like a perfect time," he saidand got up.

I looked up at him with wide eyes. He was ditching me? Seriously? "Wait,where are you going?" I asked quickly. "To find Sophia. Havefun," he said cheerily.