Chapter Eight - Back to Berk

Not long after, when he'd explained his story to the wide eyes Vikings, Hiccup and Fishlegs were bent over a map, naming each place as Arianwen told them. Most places were just called what they were, like the glowing crystal tunnel was just called the Tunnel. But then there were others, like the dark cave from where the fireworms came was called the Mørke, and the chasm that they'd flown down when entering the Hidden World was named the Kløft av Tåke. Both the Haddock and the Ingerman asked what their names would be in this language that Arianwen seemed so fluent in, and soon they all had alternative names. Hiccup was Hikke, Fishlegs was Fiskebein, Snotlout was Snørrslamp, Ruffnut was Ruffmutter, Tuffnut was Tuffmutter and Astrid was, well, Astrid. There was no translation for her or Arianwen. Even Toothless joined in; his name was Tannløs, which he was pleased about.
    While Hiccup was writing "soppplaster" on the map, Astrid came over and punched him and Fishlegs on the shoulder. Hard.
    'Ow!' Fiskebein grunted.
    'What was that for?' Hiccup asked, rubbing out the charcoal line that had come with being punched.
    'For not telling me you're a Dragonblood,' she replied. Then she hugged him from behind, trying to avoid his wings. 'And that's for rescuing me back there, Hikke.'
    'You're welcome,' he said, trying to reach the pencil that had fallen to the floor.
    Astrid let go and picked it up for him. 'So, what's the plan?'
    'Well.' He wrote the last two letters of soppplaster on the map, then gave the pencil to Fishlegs. 'We go find those Hunters, see what they're up to and stop them if necessary. And I also need to go back to Berk to see how Gobber and my mother are doing looking after an entire village.'
    Astrid sat down on a nearby boulder, resting her chin on her knee. 'What're you going to tell them?'
    'Who?'
    'Your tribe,' she said, looking directly at him. 'They deserve to know who their Chief is.'
    'I'd probably be cast out in five seconds of I told them, Astrid.'
    'Probably, not will.'
    'But-'
    'She's right, Hiccup,' Fishlegs said, not looking up from his work. 'It's better to tell them.'
    Hiccup rubbed his shoulder, feeling the tingling there. He knew they were right, even through he didn't want to admit it. He'd hidden his true self for eleven years, from his friends, his village and even himself at one point. It was time for him to reveal himself as the Dragonblood Chief.
    'If they tried anything on you I'd blast them all to pieces,' Toothless supplied helpfully.
    'Yeah, that'd help a lot, bud.' Hiccup stood, stretching his wings. If he was going to confide to his tribe, he would have to do it soon before he changed his mind. 'Let's go back.'
    'What? Now?'
    'Yes.' He started packing stuff away in Toothless's saddlebags, trying to ignore the anxiety that had suddenly enveloped him. 'Though you all can stay if you want.'

***

None of the gang wanted to stay, and they were all in the air in a matter of minutes. Arianwen had disappeared while they'd been packing up, vanishing without a word of explanation.
They flew up through the Kløft av Tåke, getting utterly soaked by the spray. Water droplets glinted on their dragons hides as they soared out into the morning sunlight, warm and welcoming on their skin and scales after days underground. Blue sky and sea stretched out around them, endless, empty.
    And there were no Hunter ships in sight.
    Hiccup sighed. He had thought, by the way the sails had been down and the boats at anchor, that they would still be here. Obviously his theory had been wrong.
    'Which way, Chief?' A white shape darted around him and Toothless, before hovering beside them.
    'I didn't think you'd come,' he said, surprised.
    'Oh, I thought I would tag along and see how Berk is doing,' Arianwen said. 'I've left Eiros in charge of the Skjult Verden.' She began gliding towards the east, her long, narrow wings making the air currents work for her. 'Are you coming or no?'

***

Two hours later a ship came into view, sails unfurled and the Hunters insignia painted crudely on them. Cages smothered the deck, most with dragons cowering inside. It was sailing slowly, almost lazily, to the north, the few guards who could be seen chatting amongst themselves.
    Silently the riders split up, surrounding the ship and striking fast. The guards, completely unprepared, at first ran from the fire blazing up the flanks of the vessel. Soon reinforcements came from below, flooding the deck with their armoured bodies. But they were too late, the riders efficiently - well, most of them efficiently - let the captured dragons out and fled back to sky, freed dragons following behind them. Flying back to Berk and the crowds of humans and dragons alike.

819 words...