Suprise Marriage And The Rain

I was sitting on the train going to Pampela. This town was the town where my parents and I lived.
It was known for its amazing restaurant called Yellow Bowl.
I always thought that it had really tasty dishes and a huge selection of meals. But my parents never let me eat there. If I wanted to eat there, I had to visit that place after school with my friends.
These were my vague memories of my hometown. I was never that outgoing type, so most of my memories are from my school and home.

I was sitting on the train looking out of the window, thinking about how fast time flew by. We don't even realize and from 16 we turn into an adult really quickly. I never liked growing up. All of my friends from school went on different paths, they moved away or started an amazing carrier. And here I was alone, without the perfect job I was dreaming about and without my friends who moved on.
I was really not looking forward to returning to my cashier work at my hometown but I can't be bragging.
'At least I have a job and I can manage to pay for everything I need.' That's what I always told myself.
A few minutes after I started coming up with the pros and cons of working as a cashier, I realized that my station will be the next stop. I packed my stuff and prepared for getting off.

After I stepped out on the station I saw a familiar face waiting for me in the shadows. It was my mother with her usual poker face. I was a bit surprised by seeing her because I already moved out of her house a long time ago. Ignoring my side thoughts, I slowly started to walk in her direction.

"Hello. What are you doing here?" I asked curiously.

"You need to come to my house today. We have something important to discuss."

"But I wanted to..." It was impossible for me to finish that sentence because my mother already stepped into my sentence.

"I don't care what you want to do. This is a very serious matter. I won't accept a 'NO' for an answer." she said with her strict voice. I looked at her in the face and immediately realized that she was really serious. Her sharp grey eyes gazed at me while I was trying not to sweat. I was panicking inside a little bit. Who wouldn't if their strict mother said such significant words?
I knew I was already an adult and had my own life, but I still had to help my parents when they were in trouble. And somehow I sensed that this time they got into trouble again.

After a long awkward ride, we got finally home. My dad was already waiting for me at the door when I got out of the car. He was looking at me and after an awkward moment, he spoke to me.

"Welcome home Giana, how was the trip?"

"It was pleasant, thank you." I said while I took off my coat and entered the house. I recognized the familiar scent of my favorite meal right away. But the pleasant feeling quickly faded away and replaced it the bitter worrying. This must be a very serious matter if my parents put so much effort into my welcoming. I tried not to show it on the outside that how stressed I am actually. I slowly started walking into the dining room and saw a man dressed up in a suit sitting at the table waiting. As I walked in, he looked at me and started to mumble something for himself. I was annoyed and curious at the same time. I looked at my mother to see if she knows the man, and apparently, she knew him because she didn't question him.

"Nevin, this is my daughter, Giana."

"Nice to meet you, Giana." said Nevin.

"Nice to meet you, but can I ask why is a strange man inside of our dining room?"

"Behave yourself, Giana! You will understand everything later." said, my dad. I wanted to yell back at him
' Why can't I know now? It's about me, right? I have the right to know and immediately! ' But I swallowed these thoughts and sat down to the table as everyone else did. I didn't have to wait too long and my dad spoke up.

"Giana, we have a request from you. We discussed it with your mother and we want you to marry this man."
I froze down. I didn't know how to react. I never expected my parents to ask me something as ridiculous as this. I tolerated them talking into my life and telling me what to do in the little things but now the situation is very different.

"I am sorry. I don't think I heard it right." I smiled at them awkwardly, but all the reaction I got back was a cold response from my dad.

"You will marry this man."

"Excuse me, can I discuss this with my mother outside?" I stood up and looked at my mother who wasn't even surprised. Right after we walked outside the room I started shouting.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY MARRYING HIM?"

"We need your help with this Giana..."

"THIS IS RIDICULOUS! I HAVE MY OWN LIFE YOU CAN'T MAKE ME MARRY A RANDOM MAN!"

"Giana, listen. I know that we didn't discuss it but we are slowly going bankrupt, and if we don't do anything we will become broke." said my mother whose face became a bit emotional.

"I DON'T CARE! THIS IS STUPID!"

"Giana calm down!"

"How could you do this? And how is this marriage even supposed to help?"

"He is a very rich man from a wealthy family. And he offered his help after he learned in what situation we are in, and he said he is interested in you."

"What?! I can't believe this! There's no way I am doing this! I had enough of this 'Let me control the whole damn life of my daughter'! I am not doing this!"

"Giana... Can you please consider it?"

"... I really don't know but I am going home now. We will talk about this later. I am tired." I started getting my coat on and walked out of the house. I was so angry and frustrated that I didn't even notice that it was pouring outside and I didn't bring an umbrella with me.

"Excuse me, Miss here is an umbrella." said a voice next to me and then I realized that the rain was not pouring on me anymore. I looked up and saw a handsome man offering me an umbrella.

"Oh, thank you very much. But don't you need the umbrella?"

"Oh, no-no. I am fine like this. And by the way, I read not long ago that a true man should offer an umbrella to a lady when it's raining. I mean, when she doesn't have any of course..."
he let out a nervous laugh.

"Thank you, I really appreciate it."
I smiled at him politely.

"Oh, I am in a hurry! I totally forgot! I need to go now. Bye-bye!" waved the man at me and started running away.
After I snapped out of the romantic atmosphere I realized that I am still holding his umbrella.

"Wait! How will I return...? Ah.. he ran away... " I let out a sigh and slowly started walking in the direction of my house. The town looked cold from the rain and many people were running with their bags or newspapers above their heads. I was glad that my luck was with me today. Well, partly...
When I arrived home I quickly went to take a shower and changed into my comfy clothes. I made myself some quick and easy food and after I ate it I went to sleep. I still couldn't believe my parents. Are they really serious? I asked myself over and over in my head. But I was too tired to think about it and I slowly started to fall asleep. I still didn't figure out how am I going to return the umbrella to the man whom I didn't even know his name, but somehow I will. Tomorrow after work I will figure everything out...