Chapter 8

Of course you had to fall sick due to cold. It was long coming, you knew it was, but somehow you had deceived yourself into thinking that if you were exposed to cold long enough –like the rest of the people in Kattegat- your body would somehow miraculously get used to it.

Wishful thinking.

In your defense, your home country had never been this cold. You were beginning to think what everyone had said back at court was correct, Vikings didn't even feel cold.

And as if that weren't enough, Torvi had picked this day of all days to train you, and naturally, Ivar wanted to watch.

Because apparently, he was sure "nothing could be as entertaining as this".

Lovely.

"You know, when Ubbe said you couldn't lift a sword, I thought he was exaggerating." Torvi said as you tried to hold the sword stable, while all the muscles on your arm protested.

"I can lift a sword."

"Yeah, barely." Ivar commented, biting into an apple "Try to swing it around."

"Don't try to swing it around," Torvi said before you could do anything, and you lowered the sword, rolling your shoulder.

"I feel like my arm is numb."

Torvi heaved a sigh and turned to Ivar, "Didn't you have a sword that you used when you were a child?"

"When I was five, you mean?"

"Yes, where is it?"

"No!" You protested, making Ivar chuckle and rubbed at your upper arm, "I'm not training with a sword like that- everyone would make fun of me."

"Trust me Y/N, if people saw you right now, they'd make fun of you with this sword as well."

You huffed out and turned to Ivar who looked like he was having way too much fun with this, "Don't you have duties you should attend to?"

"I left Hvitserk in my place, he can handle it."

"Seriously?"

"All he has to do is not to make any decisions or talk, should be simple enough-" Ivar started, but then you heard footsteps and turned your head to see Hvitserk walk past you to sit beside Ivar.

"Oh good, you haven't started yet."

"Hvitserk-"

"I left Ubbe in my place," he said as made himself comfortable, "I couldn't miss it, could I?"

"Ubbe actually said he would join us soon," Torvi said helpfully and Ivar rolled his eyes,

"Who is actually in charge of Kattegat right now?" he wondered out loud and Hvitserk shrugged.

"You wanted to be the king, brother."

"Can you lift your sword or what?" Torvi asked and Hvitserk chuckled as if it was an inside joke, but you ignored him and nodded.

"Sure, I just-" You walked to Ivar's side to take off the fur and Ivar raised his brows.

"You'll get cold."

"Sword is heavy enough," You said as you placed the fur and the cloak on a cut off log, ignoring the way the harsh wind sent a shiver down your spine. Ivar tilted his head to the right as you coughed.

"Y/N..."

"I'm fine, I'll be fine." You waved a hand in the air and tried to hide the chattering of your teeth before you made your way to Torvi.