𝐏𝐔𝐁𝐋𝐈𝐒𝐇𝐄𝐃 𝐕𝐄𝐑. 3 | italian king

***

***

𝐅𝐑𝐎𝐌 𝐏𝐔𝐁𝐋𝐈𝐒𝐇𝐄𝐃 𝐕𝐄𝐑.

𝐀𝐕𝐀𝐈𝐋𝐀𝐁𝐋𝐄 𝐎𝐍 𝐀𝐌𝐀𝐙𝐎𝐍.

***

SAMPLE CHAPTER

***

Nero

"What do you mean 'dead'?" I snapped, irritated.

"His body was found in an alley; it was hard to tell that it was him, but we did some analysis to double check. He was fucked up pretty bad, man. Someone got really creative with him," Matteo whistled, in admiration.

I sent him a dark look, but his grin didn't drop. "Stop acting so pleased."

"He was a dick, Nero. We all saw this coming."

"Do you know who did it? It can't have been a street gang like the feds are claiming," I sifted between the pictures of the corpse on my desk. "It's clearly been done by someone with evident and substantial skills."

Matteo's smile dropped. "There's something you need to know."

I frowned. That was not a good sign. I didn't like the tone he used; it had never meant anything good in the past. When I had taken over the Italians, Matteo was given the position as my second without a thought. Not only was he the nephew of Antonio Moretti, the former Don, but he was also my closest friend, practically my brother, as we had grown up together. We spent years training with each other, battling and heading into operations which required full trust in each other's abilities.

Although, he was infuriatingly arrogant, he kept me grounded when the title weighed too heavily on my shoulders. He looked a lot like his father with shaggy sable hair that kissed the dark brows on his face, and hazel eyes that always taunted me. There was a nick across his brow, a reminder of the time when we got into a brawl with the French during a bad meeting. He was tall but his frame was leaner than mine, and he constantly wore a cocky smirk that characterized his personality. Today was different. He was too somber for my liking and that always meant something bad.

"What is it?"

There was a knock on my door that halted Matteo from speaking, and both of us looked over at the culprit as they poked their head in the room with a sheepish smile. "Hi."

"Mel, what are you doing here?" Matteo demanded, as his stepsister glided into the office.

"Have you told him yet?" she responded, instead of answering his question.

Matteo sulked. "I was just about to."

"Oh," she said. Then she took a seat in the chair opposite me and grinned up at her stepbrother. "Well, carry on then."