Just Beginning (51)

Aeress

Memory...

     Godhead sat in the sun, absorbing the heat as she waited for Avathara. It was a beautiful day. The sky was clear, yet the occasional, fluffy cloud passed by, like a content, ambling animal in the woods. She listened to the earth, absorbed it and embraced it in a way no mortal could. She heard a whisper, a soft whisper, and it washed over her just as the sun did. She closed her eyes and smiled, knowing that she would never be alone.

     It was midday, a time when everything was awake and moving, for the most part, anyway. The butterflies. The breeze. The scent of roses and lilies. It was a paradise of pure love and nature, just as the world should be.

     Godhead stood up with leisure. Now where was Avathara? She looked around for her daughter, who was no older than a few years. Just like her firstborn, she loved her little bundle of happiness fiercely. She was her pride and joy, the reason she was on this earth to begin with. She could picture the lovely darkness of her complexion, those big brown eyes, and those full round cheeks with the most precious dimples. Yes, while Avathara may not have been hers through blood like Bakir was, it didn't matter, Godhead would do anything for her.

     Then there was this sickness that came upon her. Godhead frowned and clutched her abdominal area. Something was wrong. She glanced around and sniffed the air with inquiry. Yes, even Nature confirmed her sudden alarm.

     Looking around once more to make sure Avathara was not near, Godhead decided to head back to the house. Perhaps someone was hurt of distressed? Godhead always sensed these things with her children.

     Bakir had to have been home at that time. By now he should have returned from his daily hunting, something he relished in too oftenly, she would admit, but he meant well, she believed that. Her children were perfect in her eyes, as it is for most mothers. Perhaps he would know of Avathara's whereabouts?

     As she got closer to the simple structure she shared with her two children, the scent of blood hit her nose. It was heavy, it was a warning that she did not accept.

     Godhead was in the house within seconds. Her speed was unparalleled. "Bakir? Avathara?" It was like receiving a blow from the very universe itself as she took in the scene before her. She stumbled in shock. It couldn't be true, she must have been hallucinating.

     She watched in horror as he continued to smash his claws through what was left of Avathara. He was covered in her daughter, head to toe, dripping in crimson and raw flesh. He was silent, but she sensed his sick pleasure. It was like smoke clogging her throat, melting her tongue. "Avathara!" Godhead screamed in denial, grabbing a hold of Bakir and roaring with all of her might, right into his grinning face. "What have you done! What have you done to my baby!" He was silent as he looked at her with wide eyes. "She is a human. She is not my sister." His lips curled. "And now you are all mine."

     Godhead couldn't process his insanity. She screamed again, falling to the floor, landing in her daughter's body. She gathered what she could, getting sick several times during her wailing, her crying, her raging. She held what was left, not that there was much. "No, no, no, please, Avathara! Come back! I will bring you back my gir-"