CHAPTER 6

I stand bolt upright and wide-eyed in Practical Training, my early morning drowsiness replaced by a now familiar sense of fear and dread. I can tell from the look in Doomsday's eye that she is about to launch into a long complicated speech. "Today you will be learning about prioritizing motives for the greater good," she hesitates, purses her lips, and continues. "It is integral to your survival that you learn not to let your emotions cloud your judgment and to focus objectively on the task at hand. Today you will be combining this principle and the subject matter you have been learning in Past Events into one educational activity."

I can't help but scoff at the term "educational activity," honestly, who is she kidding? The scoff comes out louder than I would like and the entire class turns to look at me. 12′s eyes fill with worry while Dagger and One shoot me a look of disgust, yet none of them are a match for Doomsday's look of pure evil. Every milligram of my body seems to condense in a last ditch effort to make myself look less conspicuous. For a second I think I am done for, but Doomsday seems to dismiss me as unimportant and continues talking, her lips now curled up into an annoyed snarl.

"Everyone choose a partner." The room is hectic for a moment as everyone scrambles to be with their friends, for a second 12 and I lock eyes but we know better than to go together. Most of the time partners yield one victor. She goes over to stand with Four and I am left to roam around searching the scared and hostile eyes of the people around me until I walk face first into some boy's chest. I look up to see 14 smirking down at me with an amused twinkle in his eye. I look around for anyone else, but 14 and I are the last ones.

Of all the people I could be partnered with I end up with the only person who may be more competitive than I am. I shoot him my trademark death stare and he recoils in mock offense, thoroughly enjoying himself. I roll my eyes, but can't seem to suppress a grin. Doomsday now returns from her brief disappearance with two small, but obviously razor sharp knives. The atmosphere in the room plummets as the slightly joyful expression melts away from my face. 14 has grown cold and impassive with his eyes transfixed ahead and every muscle tense.

"You and your partner will each take a knife and move into the circle. The goal is to injure your partner as severely an possible in a single blow; if you are the first one hit, your goal is to exactly match the injury your partner has given you in reverse. Each partnership will fight for 15 minutes. If after this time you both remain untouched there will be dire consequences. If there is one victor they may walk away, if both partners have justly sustained the same injury and are both alive then they will both be healed, facing no consequences." Everyone is now standing at least two feet apart looking apprehensive and perhaps a twinge green. 14′s jaw has tightened and he is starting to tap his foot while constantly lifting the fingers on his right hand and tapping them against his leg. I look over at 12 and Four, a male with regulation features apart from slightly small stature. He looks utterly petrified, pale cheeks and wide eyes, while 12 seems to be far away wrestling with her thoughts.

Doomsday's clears her throat. "We will begin chronologically with One & 11." Both One and Dagger amble out of the group and into the center looking uneasy. Dagger's usual calm and cold collectives has been replaced by obvious terror. One practically towers over her, casting a shadow over all of her past successes. They both gingerly pick up their knives and stand across from each other about two meters away from the group. In an almost bored voice Doomsday states the word "begin."

Dagger starts to back up staring at One, her most dear friend, like a small furry animal stares at a big toothy animal. Her eyes beg for mercy; she has given up. She knows she is entirely at One's disposal, so she stands there biding her time. Doomsday announces ten minutes, looking impatient and One lunges at Dagger hitting her squarely in the right thigh. She cries out and doubles over in pain crying silently as One advances.