Skeleton Shindig

Warnings: Alcohol use, drunken shenanigans, one really bad pun, a brief confrontation

Word Count: 7173

Authors' Note: This chapter is pretty long, I know, but there were a lot of little details we wanted to include. Regardless, we hope you enjoy the chapter! :)

*     *     * 

Tyler's POV

I finished emptying a bag of chips into a brightly colored bowl and set it in the middle of the counter among the rest of the snacks. My entire morning had been spent making spooky DIY snacks from recipes that Y/N, Josh, and I had collected off of Pinterest. Overall, I was pretty pleased with how everything had turned out, although what everyone else would think had yet to be determined.

My phone buzzed against the counter while I was throwing the chip bag into the trash. I hummed quietly as I wandered over to it and picked it up, scrolling through what messages I had missed. Similar to the morning before, Josh and Y/N had already started some conversation between themselves.

Y/N: what costumes are you dudes wearing tonight? i can't decide :/

Josh: i haven't decided on anything yet. i was thinking we could do a trio costume or something.

Y/N: a trio costume! that's a great idea :)

By the time I was caught up with their messages, a plan had already formulated in my head. If I played my cards right, I could get Josh and Y/N into a couple's costume without them even knowing. While it may not get them to admit their feelings, it definitely had the potential to give them a shove in the right direction.

Tyler: hey! what if we do the skeleton onesies from a couple years ago? comfortable, easy, and it doesn't require buying anything new

Unbeknownst to them, I already had my own costume ready to go, completely separate from the old skeleton onesie. I tapped my foot impatiently against the wood floors, waiting for their replies. If one of them wasn't totally on board with the idea, then I would have to do some serious convincing to make sure they ended up following through.

Y/N: ooh, why didn't i think of that? that's perfect! you in, josh?

Josh: yeah, i'm in!

I smiled, giving my fist a little shake of success. Now all I had to worry about was getting them to my house without either of them changing their minds or figuring out my master plan. Thankfully, that was a problem for later. Right now, my top priority was finishing all the decorations for the party.

That, and figuring out the next step of my plan.

*      *      *

A door towards the back of the house creaked as I was hanging some fake cobwebs over the fireplace. I immediately stopped what I was doing and listened, waiting to see if the noise would repeat itself. My doors were always locked at all hours of the day and as far as I knew, there shouldn't be anyone at my house today until the party started. Deciding that it had probably been a sound effect from the music I had playing, I brushed it off and went back to decorating.

There was another sound a short time later, although this time it sounded more like my floors creaking than it did a door opening. Now a bit more paranoid than I was before, I set my decorations down on the mantle and walked into the kitchen where my phone was sitting. While there was still a chance it could be the music playing over the speaker system, something about the proximity of the sound gave me a feeling that it wasn't. Once the music was off, I slowly crept towards the hall closet where I kept a baseball bat for situations like this.