Suitors and advisors (Chapter 9)

"This is more awkward than when I bled through my pants in middle school and had to hide it all day" Becky whispers to me. I can do nothing but nod and stare. Across the large ballroom stand Pinns. Young men, some gawking, some leering, some inspecting, most silently observing. Among them older couples are scattered, men and women, talking to them or about them. Some clearly remarking on the merchandise lined up across the room from them, others encouraging them.

The shadows of the early evening make it hard to, but among the onlookers I can see a few of the teachers mingling. As they speak they point at various women. It's a cattle market. If I had known the teachers were going to advise potential suitors I would have acted differently around them. Maybe smiled more. Eh, I had every reason not to smile.

All are dressed in what I can only assume is the local flavor of finery. Suits with elaborate stitching, gauzy neck ties, and large gold link chains around their shoulders with small gold plated seals on the end. Some of the older men wear what looks to be elaborate priestly frocks with colorful patterns stitched along the hems. The older women wear elaborate gauzy wrap dresses that float around them with jewels that twinkle in the light.

I feel on display and cross my arms in front of my body to shield me from prying eyes. The strangeness of this situation almost has me wishing I was back in my dull grey room on the spaceship and in my plain white uniform. At least there no one stared hungrily at my breasts like the man on the opposite side of the room.

In an attempt to look anywhere but him, I glance around the room again. The ballroom is a long rectangle that is neither too small to fit all of the people nor so large that it felt spacious. When the teachers had described how the socials, they described romantic evenings where the women would be swept off their feet by handsome strangers. This doesn't feel like a romantic evening- it feels like a market hall, uneasy transactions waiting to happen. The decor is limited, small silver chandeliers drop from the ceiling glow in the early evening light; they are not too grand and almost feel too small for the space, casting shadows for the lack of light. The strong scent of heavy cologne pierces the air giving the room an oppressive feeling. At the end stands an orchestra of 5 men.

Suddenly there is movement near the far end of the room and everyone falls silent. I jerk my head towards the movement to watch. A young man nervously walks over, introducing himself to a woman. I simply stare. He smiles, she returns a smile politely, they talk. She nods at something he says.

The loud sound of a man clearing his throat startles me. I abruptly turn. Oh no no no, not breast-guy. My admirer stands nervously in front of me. He is biting his lips, shifting from foot to foot.

"H-Hi I'm Barth" he hesitates.

"Ivy" I reply. I feel annoyed which is helping me overcome my prior anxiety. I don't really plan to go home with a Pinn at the first social, but I also don't want to waste my time talking to a guy who has all the awkwardness of teenager gawking at a girl for the first time.

"I....um..." He mumbles. I look squarely at him. It doesn't seem to help him at all as he starts to blush profusely. He is cute. I have to give him that. He is pale with a strong jaw and auburn hair. His pale blue eyes fixated on my shoes before him. And the blush makes him look all the more adorable. He continues to mumble somewhat incoherent phrases, trying to come up with something. I don't know why but I am beginning to feel bad for him. He is like a lost puppy. A lost alien puppy.

"Do you live in Yandhude?" I ask, hoping to save him from himself. I just can't bear his embarrassment any longer; it's beginning to make me nervous all over again.

"Yes, yes, on the south side" He nods vigorously. A smile creeps up on his face.

Yandhude is the first stop on our social tour and we were able to see none of it. After landing the teachers had ushered us through long hallways immediately into the large room where we got ready. We saw none of the city which our teachers had claimed was more beautiful than any on earth, no glimpse of the greenery. Most upsetting, no breath of fresh air which after a week in the grey spaceship I was desperate for.