Part 6: Soup or Salad

"That guy was cute," Avery said, stepping out the inn's front door.

Ahead of her, Noelle finished zipping up her new coat. "Who? Piet?"

The receptionist they'd met an hour or so earlier was nowhere to be seen when they left to find dinner, instead being replaced by a matronly type woman napping behind the check-in counter.

"No, I meant the other guy. Nick I think it was," Avery said as she bent down to scoop a handful of fresh snow off the deserted street.

Noelle shrugged. "Eh."

Avery laughed, balling the white crystals between her gloves. "I should have figured you'd go for the brooding one."

Noelle put up a warning finger. "Hey, you know nothing about me. And if you even think about chucking that snowball in my direction, I swear I will feed you to the first wolf I find."

"Fine," Avery ruefully relented, turning away and aiming at a black metal box labeled 'Post,' instead.

"Hey. Was that there before?" Noelle asked, pointing to the first of a succession of wintergreen garlands streamed between the two sides of the narrow street, decorated with red and gold ornaments and glowing lights. She could have sworn they weren't up when they'd arrived.

Avery shrugged while sweeping the snowball's remnants off her hands. "I don't know. Probably. It's almost Christmas so I can't imagine who'd be putting up more decorations this late."

Piet had given vague directions, but as they neared the next intersection, there was no mistaking the tavern. Akin to a Viking-era great hall, its A-line roof loomed over the surrounding structures, while real torches flickered in front. Here too were countless wreaths and garlands, but there were also decorations of nuts and dried fruits. Inside, both the trimmings and mood were just as festive.

Goat puppets made of straw and Yule log centerpieces with lit candles adorned the rough-hewn tables, while sparkling glass balls of silver and blue hung from the antler chandeliers. The air smelled of cinnamon, pine, and citrus while simultaneously conjuring images of roast duck and cranberries. Groups of six or eight sat on communal benches sharing family-sized platters of food and drinking from elaborately painted mugs and goblets. The ones who appeared to have been there the longest (their plates were the most empty and their cheeks were the most rosy), sang boisterous, folksy songs in a language Noelle didn't recognize.

"Table for two? Follow me please," said a young woman with hair so light it was almost white, grabbing the duo before they had even properly entered. Leading them to a table smack in the middle of the tavern, she handed over a couple of menus and promptly disappeared.

"Please be in English," Avery whispered as she opened the leather-bound menu.

Noelle followed suit, scanning the contents.

APPETIZERS

Pheasant rillettes – salted breast meat served with juniper berries and apples on rye

Toast skagen – shrimp in a dill mayonnaise sauce on toasted wheat with whitefish roe

Traditional smörgåsbord – jellied pigs feet, ham, and lutfisk served with bread, cheeses

Salmon gravlax – fish cured in salt, pepper and dill

SOUPS and SALADS

Nordic winter vegetable soup – celery root, parsnips and barley in a rich broth

Endive and pear salad – with goat cheese, grape and walnuts