Chapter Five

Chapter Five:

It got dark too soon, at only five at night. The Night cold bit at my fingertips and I shook. Sasha was afraid we weren’t going to make it, although we had not been gone a day, let alone long enough to die. She whimpered and cuddled into her fur, trying to warm herself when in reality it was I who was freezing. I was afraid to stop at another Gas Station, because I feared I would forget what I was doing.

I’m cold, Sasha murmured over and over. She paced around and growled. I sighed and walked quicker, are we going to die?

No, we aren’t. We left at 12 in the afternoon. It has been five hours. I told her, irritated. Don’t think about dying yet. We must be almost there. In addition, with that, I knew we were. Sudden confidence calmed the freezing in my fingertips and I quickened my pace.

Why are you so confident? Sasha asked, her voice sad and confused, I mean, the devil woman may have been lying. I have heard of people who do that She was quiet for a moment, I hate when the do that, it is so untrustworthy.

No duh. Was all I wanted to say?

Another hour passed and I saw the cliff. There wasn’t much to see of course but a tree. I frowned. Sasha whimpered. She couldn’t see my sister. We couldn’t see anyone. That isn’t right, I murmured. The old woman said she was here!

People lie, Sasha said, trying to comfort me but failing miserably. Maybe she lied to me. It wouldn’t be the first time someone lied to us. She pondered. Maybe someone put her up to it.

I snorted, “I doubt it,” I said, too lazy to think it. Truth was, we’d been lied to by many people and we also lied a bunch. If we had been entirely honest, however, we would be in an orphanage or a mental institution because of us ‘believing’ we were werewolves. Would that be bad? At least Naomi would be with me at least.

Do you think Naomi is really here? Sasha asked her voice very small. She was afraid for our sister and she had a right to be. Even though it’d only been over a week, it has felt like many years have passed in our search. What if she went back to the abandoned house?

“What if she hadn’t?” I asked, wishing I could see her face. “What if she fell down the cliff?” I pictured a mangled Naomi, spread-eagled all over the grass. Blood was seeping from the multiple cuts on her face. Sasha hid behind her paws whimpering. She begged me to stop and reluctantly, I obliged. “We need to know what the worst that can happen.”

In addition, the worst that can happen is that she dies? By falling off a cliff? Sasha questioned, dangerous like. She was angry that I could imagine Naomi dead.

“Let’s measure how deep it is,” I suggested, already moving forward, “If it isn’t that deep, maybe we could see Naomi!”

She shuddered, what do we do if we do find her?

“I don’t know Sash. Bury her?”

She grunted, disgusted. That is barbaric. Too barbaric for our sister. She imagined a funeral and shivered. I don’t know what I would do. Cry and burn it, maybe,