{3}

Edwin Jarvis was somewhat of a mystery, a mixture of dry wit and warmth that Toni felt in her very bones.

He was much softer than Howard's acidic words and bruising fists, softer than Maria's sharp dismissals. Jarvis who had cared for the little girl with a too big eyes and dark curls.

Edwin who had been the one that encouraged her wild ideas, who had told her she would change the world. Who had tucked her in every night as Maria drugged herself to sleep while her husband either drank himself into a stupor or was out with another woman.

It was Jarvis who had kissed every cut, who had wiped every tear, and cared for her.

When Antonia died and Toni was built, Jarvis had taken a single look at the little girl who started to build herself into a goddess and he knew.

Knew that Howard would regret ever laying a hand on this force of pure unbridled fury.

Knew that his daughter ( let's be honest Toni was Jarvis' daughter more than she was ever Howard's) was going to be unstoppable.

That she was going to rule the world and he could not wait for that day to come. Every time Howard dared to harm Toni or Maria brushes Toni off once the cameras shut off, Jarvis wanted to scream. 

Scream that they did not deserve this brilliant little girl, scream that she was so much more that what they wanted her to be. But he waited because he knew that Toni needed to claim herself and that the god inside of her needed to grow.

Needed to unleash her power, needed to build herself up from the ashes of Antonia, the dead girl that could have been.

With Jarvis came Ana who was everything Maria never was, kind eyes and sweet smiles.

She was the mother she never had, whose warmth fought away the cold that Toni felt in her bones.

The chill that never seemed to go away no matter how hard she tried. Ana who encouraged her inventions and was there to help her clean up after Howard's beating or was a shoulder to cry on after another one of Maria's sharp dismissals.

She made sure Toni was unapologetically Toni and cared for her enough to soften the rough edges built by years of hardening herself to the pain.