Stuck With You

I opened my eyes a little groggily, I'd fallen asleep? I didn't remember when.
But as I blinked in front of me, I saw the wall of our hidden spot. My cheek laid against something but when I looked to see what it was, I saw Kale. He was staring right back at me.

"Morning, or I guess, Evening, I don't know the time."

I squeaked, sitting up.

"I'm sorry! I fell asleep." I turned towards the exit to make sure it was still open. It was, but it was also still snowing outside. Though now it wasn't so bad, still, it probably wasn't a good idea to go out yet.

"It's fine, you were really warm." Kale said while stretching, as much as he could anyways. I continued staring out the door until my cheeks cooled down.

"T-Thanks, you're pretty warm too." I smiled over at him with a slight giggle, it was from nerves.

He blinked at me as he sat up.

"Then we should probably stay close, it's still snowing outside and it's cold." I just nodded and sat next to him still looking outside.

"I don't know where we are." I shook my head.

"Meh, it's not so bad here, can't really tell the difference between this and your little cabin.

My face grew hot at that. Was he seriously comparing my home to a hole in the ground!?

"Well I can list a few things that are different. It has food, water, a bathroom, a fire."

Kale held up a hand, counting on his fingers.

"Yeah but this place is warm enough, it's cozy, and you're here." I looked at him surprised. "Besides, we've got water all around us, and we're werewolves, our natural body heat is good enough without a fire, and we can hunt for food." He also pointed out.

"B-But why am I on that list?" I stuttered.

"Well your cabin is yours, it's just some of the things that's similar."

"Right." I looked at the ground around us. The dirt under us was fairly even, though there were a few places where the ground was bumpy.

I stretched a little to keep myself from cramping up when Kale leaned against the wall.

"See? It's not so bad here, besides, it's not like we're staying here forever." He told me calmly.

I couldn't help but frown as I looked outside, it was really my fault we were out here. If I hadn't thrown that snow ball at him, if I hadn't run away, we'd still be close to the cabin.

"Hey."

Shaking my head to clear my thoughts, I looked over at Kale as he frowned over at me.

"Stop frowning, that's my thing remember?" This caught me off guard.

"What?" I asked, puzzled. Kale brought a hand out from behind his head and poked my cheek.

"You're almost always smiling, so smile. There's a lot to be happy about you know."

"Like what? We're who knows where in the forest, and we're stuck." I frowned.

"Well now you know how I felt waking up in your cabin." He told me and I stiffened before turning away.

Was it his fault that he's gotten so injured? Had he been stupid too? Or were the situations different? Either way, it hit me just how he felt at my cabin. Yes it was nice, but it was nothing compared to home. He was making do, just as I should be, but instead I was complaining about going home.

"Hey, look on the bright side. At least we're not out there, or dead even." He shrugged as I looked back over at him.

Like this storm, his injuries were keeping him from going home. I felt awful for wanting him to stay with me, it was selfish of me, thinking only about what I'd wanted. If he wanted to go home, it was his choice, not mine. I couldn't force him to stay. I looked at his side where he was hurt.

"How does your side feel?" I asked changing the subject. The brunette blinked at me somewhat in surprise, but he humored me with a shrug.

"Stings a bit, but it'll be fine."

"Was I leaning on it!?" I asked, thinking back to when I'd fallen asleep.

Kale snorted. "Yeah, but it's Alright, it's mostly healed by this point." He unzipped his coat and lifted up his shirt.
"Not much but a bruise now, see for yourself."

I hesitated. If he was lying, we'd be exposing a bleeding wound to a dangerous climate. But if he was sure it wasn't bleeding, I would like to see the progress.

Gently, but not slowly, I unwrapped his torso and took off the patch which was bloodied. But after the dried blood was brush off, there was only a dark bruise where the gash had been, no scars. Kale blinked at it in surprise.

"Wow, you weren't kidding about that ointment." He said before dropping his shirt.

I folded the patch so it wouldn't be a problem and rolled up the bandage. I made sure it didn't touch the ground.

"Well that's a relief honestly." I sighed, putting the roll in my pocket. "This means you're almost fully healed huh?" I offered a little smile.

Kale stared at me for a second before finally answering. "Uh, yeah, I guess so."
I sighed softly, gently leaning on his shoulder.

"Well, I guess this isn't so bad, you're not too hurt, we're safe from the storm. I guess being a little lost isn't so bad. But when this snow lets up, we should probably try and find our way back to the cabin. From there, I can probably give you directions back to where you came from." I told him. I didn't see his reaction, seeing as I was leaning against him and staring at the entrance.

"Sounds great." He mumbled, though he seemed to be saying it in a distracted tone.

I looked over my shoulder at him, he was staring at me, so I offered a smile and turned back to watch the entrance.

A part of me wished the snow would never stop. But I guess I was still childishly clinging to him. There was no doubt, he made me happy. But I couldn't force him to stay, no matter how much I wanted to.

It just wouldn't be right.