[16]

---

---

Scarlett joined the rest of Sibuna at school. She stared at the containers of bugs in front of her. They stood at the wall, waiting for the okay to begin. 

"Amber put it away. We have to keep them out of sight," Fabian scolded, noticing her playing with the amulet around her neck. 

"Sorry. It's, like, my lucky charm, that's all," Amber replied, hiding the amulet. She looked to the containers. "You want me to put my hand in there?"

"Not at first. At first, all you have to do is take one step forward," Nina informed.

"A step?" Amber repeated.

"Doesn't sound so bad, Does it? Just one step towards the tanks. Everyone."

Everyone took one step forward. 

"Okay. Now all you have to do is take another step when you're comfortable," Nina told. 

Scarlett took another step, followed by everyone else but Amber. 

"Like that. One step at a time. At your own pace," Nina praised. 

Scarlett continued forward with the others until they were right by the tanks. She glanced back to see Amber still on one step. 

---

A few days later and Scarlett found herself back in the science room. She stood with the rest of Sibuna attempting to help Amber get over her fear of bugs.

"Okay, I'm ready," Amber announced. 

"Are you sure?" Nina asked. 

"Just do it quick."

Scarlett placed her hand into one of the tanks, grabbing a bug out of it. Amber opened her hands, squealing quietly as she held it close to her. 

"Remember the training. Think of it as a little Alfie," Scarlett reminded, placing the bug in her hands. 

"Hey, Alfie. You're not so bad," Amber spoke, her voice a lot higher than usual. 

"Okay. I think you're ready," Nina told. 

Scarlett took the bug from Amber, placing it back into the tank.

"Fabian?" Nina placed some worms into his hands. 

"Yeah, I think I'm ready too," Fabian voiced.  

"Alfie?" Nina asked.

"Yeah. I think so. I spent the whole night under my bed, and no stones fell down, so," Alfie reassured. 

"Okay, then let's get this thing done," Nina exclaimed. 

Just then Mr Sweet and Victor walked in.